Plastic 7.0.16.2077 install did not detect previous 6.0.16.1746

Hello,

I assume you are using Windows, right?

The installer should detect the previous version if it was installed using the windows installer.

The 7.0.16.2077 installer fetches the following registry key do determine whether there is a previous version installed or not:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Codice Software Plastic SCM <YOUR_ACTUAL_VERSION_INSTALLED>\InstallLocation

Maybe this registry key does not exist in your setup. Did you use the .zip packages to install the 6.0.16.1746 version? Could you please tell me if the registry entry exists?
Also, is the Windows user running the installer a standard user or an administrator user?

Anyway, in your case, the recomended way of proceeding is uninstall the 6.0.16.1746 version using the Windows Program & Features from the Control Panel. Configuration files will be kept, as well as database files.
Then, install the new version in the same installation path.

But of course it is better to have a backup of your config files/database files prior to upgrade this way.

Yes this is for the Windows version of Plastic SCM, and it does appear I am missing that registry key, so I exported the key from another machine (same setup), as well as two missing files (uninstall.dat and uninstall.exe), and re-ran the new installer. This is not the first time the uninstall portion of the install has gone missing. I think it might be related to our virus software, but not 100% sure. At least I got it all working. Thanks for the tip.

Hi @Xorcist,

so uninstall.dat and uninstall.exe were missing as well, right? That might be the installer not finishing successfully...

Can you check if you have log files left by the installer, we can search for issues inside them, this is the location: https://support.bitrock.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115002025665-Installation-log-file-location

Do you also have the change of getting info from the antivirus software?

Archived