Add a label to a changeset that has already been pushed

Xarbrough

Does Plastic support adding a label to a changeset on a branch after they have already been pushed to the cloud? We tried it, but the label only shows on the local developer machine and cannot be seen by other members replicating from the cloud.

I tried it again on my machine and noticed, that when I label any existing, pushed changeset, I don't get any pending changes and nothing to sync in the SyncView. Isn't there a way to push this newly created label to the cloud?

Thank you!

I've discovered that the labels are pushed the next time something else on the same branch is pushed. This means, I had to change some files, create another changeset commit and push it to the cloud to upload the older labels.

I've also tried again to only push the branch or sync with the cloud, but it wouldn't do anything until I made additional changes.

Hi, I can see you also opened a support ticket, but let me include the answer also in this thread:

Yes, you crashed into 2 well-known limitations.

1) Sync view doesn't see changes that are not related to new changesets. Saying it doesn't sync metadata is not 100% correct because, well, changesets are metadata after all. But, yes, basically it won't see anything if there are no new changes.

We did it this way for performance reasons. It is way much faster to just check for new changesets, than it is to locate labels and so on in old ones.

This is not set in stone, the goal is to improve it.

The only thing I can say in our defense is that "normally" (yeah, you can argue that) new labels will go to new changesets and then will be pushed together, but sure, there will be cases when this will not happen.

2) Changeset comment changes: you pushed changeset 100, then you change comment => we don't push the change to the comment. Again, performance reasons. We simply attach metadata to objects, but don't keep some sort of changelog, so detecting these kinds of changes is expensive (we keep the changelog in the form of changesets, but of course, focused on project evolution itself).

Regards,

Carlos.