Unity doesn't find Plastic SCM client

ShacharWeis

Hey all,

I'm just starting with Plastic. I installed the Latest Cloud client, and Unity is giving me this error:
image.png.e4d9d68e441da90231860527a68400bb.png

Version Control: PlasticSCM not installed. Please visit http://www.plasticscm.com to download PlasticSCM or contact support team at: support@codicesoftware.com
UnityEditor.VersionControl.Task:Wait()

Any ideas?

Windows 10, Unity 2019.3

Hi,

- Are you launching Unity using Unity Hub? If you are indeed doing it, can you please try to run unity without the Hub?

- Can you share with us if you have Plastic SCM installed on a custom path? Other than "C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5"?
- Are you running Unity with an elevated user? If you open a "cmd" command line window and you type "cm" do you get the Plastic SCM command line help?

- Could you check if the plugin files are still there?

C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools\VersionControl\PlasticSCMPlugin.exe
C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client\PlasticSCMPlugin.exe

Also, let's review the permissions for both paths to be open so they can connect to each other. The error "PlasticSCM not installed" makes me think that one plugin side is not able to reach the other for some reason.

Regards,

Carlos.

If I type "cm" I get the plastic command line.

I am using Unity Hub. Running Unity direct results in same error.

I did not install to the default folder, but rather to "e:\Program Files"

Both the files you listed do exist in their proper paths

I gave full permissions to Everyone to the plastic installation folder, but that didn't help. 

- If you try to connect your client to the server via Plastic GUI not Unity plugin), is it properly working? Are you able to list the repos?

- If the issue persists, you can reach us at support@codidcesoftware.com and we can debug the issue with you.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 2 months later...

Hi, y'all! It'd be awesome if you could post the resolution for this issue here. I'm having what appears to be the same issue.

- Unity is installed in a non-standard drive

- Plastic SCM is installed in a non-standard drive

Just got a subscription and pretty surprised that installing to a non-C: drive is not something that is already supported, since it's something that a lot of devs do.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I uninstalled and reinstalled PlasticSCM at the default folder, and I'm getting the same error.

The installation path shouldn't be relevant. At least we don't have a confirmation from any user. If you follow the steps from my initial comment, doesn't it help?

Regards,

Carlos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have the same issue. I'm using Unity Hub, so the location of my Unity plugin is a bit different. Maybe that is the issue?

C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.4f1\Editor\Data\Tools\VersionControl

I can connect and push changes from the Plastic SCM app. I just can't connect to the plugin from inside Unity. Looks like the same issues:

image.png.123d346633ceacaf2bbe66eba1dd886b.png

image.png.e5820b6516a94593aa4abbae20a828cb.png

If you open Unity not via the Unity Hub, aren't you also reproducing the issue?

- Are you launching Unity using Unity Hub? If you are indeed doing it, can you please try to run unity without the Hub?

- Can you share with us if you have Plastic SCM installed on a custom path? Other than "C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5"?
- Are you running Unity with an elevated user? If you open a "cmd" command line window and you type "cm" do you get the Plastic SCM command line help?

- Could you check if the plugin files are still there?

C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools\VersionControl\PlasticSCMPlugin.exe
C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client\PlasticSCMPlugin.exe

Also, let's review the permissions for both paths to be open so they can connect to each other. The error "PlasticSCM not installed" makes me think that one plugin side is not able to reach the other for some reason.

Regards,

Carlos.

• With the latest version of Unity, opening it directly still causes it to open Hub to select which project to open. So I can't really avoid Hub like I could before.
  • SCM is installed in the default path.
  • I don't know how to tell if I'm running Unity with an elevated user.
  • I noticed that when I copied ignore.conf into C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5 it told me I would need to provide Adminstrative approval.
  • Yes, "cm" gives me the Plastic SCM command line.
  • In what way should I "review permissions"?

Thanks!

I figured out the issue.

All of us already HAVE the project on our systems, and there's this unexplained part of the process where you have to somehow convert your current project into the cloud repository . . . but then that local project is the one that won't connect. It seems you require us to ignore that perfectly functioning project, open up a brand new, blank project, and then pull down ANOTHER copy of the project. If I do it that way it works, but the "Master" version of the project that I used to upload to the repository in the first place . . . THAT one will not connect to the plugin.

EDIT: Although . . . someone else on our team had the same issue and the only way he was able to solve it was a reboot. I too rebooted before it ended up working for me. I just didn't think that was the issue, but maybe it was. Because they weren't trying to create the initial repository at all. They were working in a completely blank project, etc. So it's possible the real solution is just a reboot.

Edited by EdTech
More info.

Hi,

I don't fully understand your explanation. Plastic support both distributed (you work with local repos and then push/pull to the cloud repo) and centralized workflow (your workspace is directly pointing to the cloud repo).

Unity users normally prefer the centralized workflow because in this workflow they can use the exclusive cehckout (file locks).

It's very weird that just a rebootfixed the problem :$ 

A reboot shouldn't change any local configuration. If you figure out something new, please let us know.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue and restarting just UnityHub fixed it.

Unity 2019.4.8f1 and plastic (with distributed mode) and asset store plugin restarting UnityHub (no computer restart) resolved it. Restarting just the project without fully closing unity hub did not work, and I did remove unity collab from the project before anything else as someone mentioned it in the plugin reviews.

Hope it helps others

• 1 year later...

A solution that worked for me.

When I faced the issue, I found that C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools\VersionControl directory was not present.
When I copied C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\PlasticSCMPlugin.exe into that location from my downloaded install, the issue was resolved.

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I am late to the party. I am having the same issue.

I am using Unity 2019.3.0f6. I get an error message when I try to change the Version Control options.

I am not using Unity HUB.
I am not using alternative directories for Unity or Plastic SCM.
Plastic SCM command line help comes up from the command prompt.
I just installed Plastic SCM, but I do not have the Plastic SCM plugin in C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client\
The PlasticSCM plugin is installed in the Unity directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Fig

Hi,

I think you are using the legacy plugin. You need to install the Version Control plugin via the Package Manager.

Even if you install the Version Control package, it is not officially supported for Unity 2019.3.0f6 but anyway, I would give it a try.

Could you check if it helps?

Regards,

Carlos.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm using Unity 2020.3.18f1 with Hub and I'm having the same problem. I have a PlasticSCMPlugin.exe in D:\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.3.18f1\Editor\Data\Tools\VersionControl, but not in D:\PlasticSCM5\client. I have the latest version of PlasticSCM and the Unity Version Control package version 1.9.0.

All the best,

Oliver