PlasticSCM doesn't detect moved files even at 0% accepted similarity

Xarbrough

I often see plastic showing moved Unity assets as deleted and added instead of as moved. I then right-click on the moved file showing as added to open the "Search moved candidates" dialog. Here, no matter what I set for "Min similarity accepted", nothing shows in the list.

What could be going on here?

Plastic correctly detects Unity's .meta files as moved, but not the corresponding .asset files. I have text serialization enabled in Unity and also tried explicitly marking .asset files as binary in the filetypes.conf, but it doesn't fix the move detection.

Also, it would be nice if I could manually fix these files if the auto detection fails. But I also guess this is what the "Search Matches" option should be doing, but apparently it has some issues.

image.thumb.png.3b928503cd8560bb6cdaad1f42261a51.png

Hi,

- We have been commenting on detail regarding how to improve the moved matching in the following link. Your feedback is appreaciated.

- In your case, it's weird that if you change the "min similarity accepted", they are still not matched. Are the files actually deeply changed?

- Using controlled moves could also avoid the problem (moving the items via GUI or using "cm mv" command) but I understand this is not as comfoirtable as moving the items directly via Windows explorer.

Aren't you performing the moves via the Unity GUI, right? Because they should also tracked as controlled moves.

Regards,

Carlos.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go through the tips to see if anything helps.

The files shown in my screen shot haven't actually changed, I only moved them those asset files within Unity by multi-selecting them and dragging them into a new folder. The file content is still the same, but all files are also different from one another (their hashes should be different, in case this could also be causing issues).

I went over the tips and discovered that my issue may be some sort of more specific fluke. At first, nothing seemed to help, I just couldn't get my move detected. However, later, after I submitted the incorrect delete and add, I couldn't reproduce the original issue any longer, no matter which scenario I tried. However, the issue did happen a few times in the past, so I guess it must be something very specific. I'll post again, if I discover anything new.

• 2 years later...

I frequently have the same or a similar problem. It mostly happens when a tool/plugin/package requires me to delete and reinstall it in order to upgrade. This is because Unity doesn't do proper package management / updates and can't remove bogus/outdated files. The challenge is that often this is HUNDREDS of files that are marked as added and deleted when most of them haven't changed at all. Sometimes the Search Matches option is completely greyed out. This week I updated one package (UMotion) and it specified you need to delete and reinstall it. After doing so, Plastic detected some of the files as changed. The files that hadn't changed were mostly thought by Plastic to be separate files that were added and deleted. The weirdest part: doing Search Matches was allowed on the added files detected but would never find the exact same file in the Deleted list but...turning matching down to 0% would show other random possible matches but NEVER THE ACTUAL SAME FILE WITH THE SAME NAME IN THE SAME FOLDER. What evil sorcery is this?