Mikael Kalms

Merging in an xlink change will not automatically update the xlinked folder contents

Hi,

when I change an xlink, I need to first check in the xlink change, and then click "update workspace" to make the contents of the xlinked folder update. I find the extra required step unintuitive, but accept that there are probably reasons for this. (Side question: Do I need to check in the xlink change? Or is it enough to change the xlink locally, and then click 'update workspace'?)

However -- if someone else merges from a branch with such an xlink change, they too need to perform an extra "Update workspace" to get the contents of their xlinked folder updated. This means that, sometimes, "merge latest from main to your task branch" is not enough to ensure that your workspace is up-to-date; sometimes you need to perform an additional "Update workspace" step to ensure that, and this depends on whether or not the merge introduced any xlink changes.

Am I missing something? If no, is there some way to make Plastic automatically update the xlinked folders within the workspace during such a merge?

Hi,

- You are right that when you manually edit the Xlink target and checkin these changes, you will need to update the workspace to download the content from the new Xlink pointer. It could happen on a scenario where you are not performing the changes in the Xlinked repo via the parent repo so your Xlink is out of date.

- In the merge scenario: the merge is initially performed in the Xlinked repo and then in the parent repo. You will see that there are two merge links in your pending changes (one form the Xlinked and one for the parent repo). When you are running a merge, the new revisions created in the task branch will be downloaded to your workspace so when you you checkin the merge result, the Xlink should be pointing to the merge result changeset and your workspace should include all the revisions downloaded during the merge. An extra update shouldn't be necessary.

- If you are refering to some specific merge scenario, could you let me know the steps to reproduce?

Ideally, the Xlinks are designed to be modified always from the parent repo. This way, the Xlink target will be always pointing to the last and when you perform some changes in the Xlink, they will be automatically propagated to the XLinked repo.

Regards,

Carlos.