"Locking" a file?

spectre1989

Hi,

We're working on a Unity game, and our scenes are sufficiently complex now that they simply won't merge. We're opting for just having one person editing a scene at any one time, and as we near release it's sometimes difficult to keep track of who is working on what.

Is there an easy way to "lock" a scene file so that no-one else can edit it until I'm done?

Cheers

Joe

Only if you do exclusive checkouts and it will only work on the same branch. 

You can also use Plastic's triggers to auto-checkout scenes but you're still stuck with the exclusive per branch problem. 

Vote; http://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general/suggestions/5777349-workspace-wide-exclusive-checkout

More info: http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/2156-how-to-implement-automatic-workspace-check-out-for-all-branches/

• 2 weeks later...

So if I understand well, there is no automatic exclusive checkout mechanism for now. Is it planned in the future ? I voted for this in the uservoice dedicated area. Since we use daily a lot of large binary files that must be edited by only one user at the same time, we need desesperatly this feature... :mellow: Also, could it be possible to get the list of the users that currently checking out files of the repository (if performance is correctly guaranteed of course) ?

Cheers,

hlx

HI,

how are you currently working? Do you use several branches or artist work on the same one? If they work on the same branch you can use the exclusive co mechanism + the new GameUI (inside labs download section, please give us feedback if you try it).

in order to review all the locks you have to use the "cm listlocks" command, although the GameUI will alert you if the file that is about to be checked -out is already locked.

Hi Manu,

Thx for your answer.  Each artist work on his own branch so the exclusive C O is not so useful for us. BUT,...we are ready to test the 5.4 latest public release with GameUI feature. Is it very risky to use it for evaluation (I guess no)? Also, I guess that the 5.4 setup get a server-side release too ?

Thanks

Hlx

Interesting scenario you have.

If each developer/artist is working on independent branches at the end of the day, even with a locking system you will end up in constant merges between branches to get the latest binary revision.... wouldn't be easier in your scenario to work at the same branch? The GameUI will help you there. With the GameUI you can even load a subset of repository files in your workspace.

GameUI is still in beta but you can accomplish a full working cycle, of course, all the feedback is welcome. You can use it for evaluation at the end of the day the regular GUI is also installed so you can use it is something goes weird.

.. wouldn't be easier in your scenario to work at the same branch? The GameUI will help you there. With the GameUI you can even load a subset of repository files in your workspace.

GameUI is still in beta but you can accomplish a full working cycle, of course, all the feedback is welcome. You can use it for evaluation at the end of the day the regular GUI is also installed so you can use it is something goes weird.

Yes, artists will try to work together ( ;)) on the same branch. We will see how exclusive CO should be able to avoid as possible merging conflicts. About GameUI, can I install the 5.4 release to replace my 5.0 client application and let the other client users unchanged too (my colleagues). Same question for the server application ?

Thanks for your support.

Hlx

More contextual info; 

The reason our artist work on different branches is in order to separate the tasks and better version control our Unity Scenes. It also allows us to track all the files changed in a specific patch (branch). 

Also, if we could exclusively checkout a file for _all_ branches, there would be no merge involved as only the latest, checked-out (first to arrive, first to serve) version would be changed. 

Also, if we could exclusively checkout a file for _all_ branches, there would be no merge involved as only the latest, checked-out (first to arrive, first to serve) version would be changed. 

It depends of the nature of the work. Simple assets that can be handled by only one artist could be "developped" on a separated branch. This is not so obvious when we consider "game level" buildings when the team have to "share" assets like scene layers for example. But yes, exclusive checkout a file for all branches would be useful anyway.

Regards,

hlx

Archived