Automatically add new files to repo?

redwards

Hi, maybe I'm doing something wrong or have something misconfigured.. Here is my workflow.

1) Open project, lets say a website in VS2013.

2) Add new .cs file to project, like a class.

3) Check pending changes. Nothing.

4) Scour "items in workspace" for the file marked "private" and choose "Add to source control". Silent checkin because I have that enabled.

The huge problem that we keep running into is that the developer forgets to do this process and proceeds to check in their (modified, pre-existing files) files and then they tell everyone else "Ok! I checked it in!" Then all the devs go and update their workspace and the build is broken because the new files were never added to source control. Yes, the build works fine on the original devs machine, but it takes some time and effort to hunt down the reason it's not working is the idiot never added the new files to source control.

This becomes a very annoying issue when building a site from scratch and you are constantly adding new files. Why does it suck?

* No easy way to find files that haven't been added. No filters. Basically have to click open every folder and hunt for the word "private".

* Ideally a changeset should be modified files and new files as a singluar package. With the current system, new files can be silently checked in to the background as their own changeset, which can cause numerous changesets that should have all been one.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a way to simply have plastic consider any new file under a root directory automatically added to source control (after it passes through ignore.conf, of course)? Thanks in advance for any help!

Setup: Latest plastic version with latest VS2013 without the Plastic plug, we use the UI for everything. Win 764bit

post-28226-0-51092800-1410909774_thumb.png

Hi,

- If you are using VS2013, I recommend you to test out integration package. It will help you to perform the SCM operations.

- In the "Pending changes" view, there is an "Options" button where you can select "Show private items".  This way you can check the private items you have in the workspace and add them to source control in a single checkin.

- Plastic allows to store private files in the workspace, but as I explained, it´s very easy to review the private files and add them to Plastic in a single step.

Regards,

Carlos 

• 6 years later...

Hi, I'm new to Plastic and I'm also having this issue where all newly created files are being marked as Private, and I have to manually go through them and add them to the repository.

Is there a way to automatically have new files added to the repository?

This is kind of a big deal, because looking through the list of Private items and finding everything that is new so we can add it to the repo seems prone to accidentally 'forgetting' or missing a file in the list. If I have 30 files that are actually supposed to be Private, and then I create 20 new files, I have to painstakingly go through the list and figure out which should be added.

If there isn't a way to automatically have new files be added to the repository, then maybe I am misunderstanding things because I feel like it should be the default action for new files. I've only used Git with SourceTree before so I don't have the most experience but even with SourceTree I didn't have to specifically decide which new files got added to the repo - they all did.

This is especially difficult because I'm the only programmer in a team of 4 (working on a Unity project), and I was hoping Gluon would be super simple for my other team members to use - but now each time they are doing a checkin they have to come to me to make sure that what they are checking in is actually correct.

Besides this issue, Plastic has been absolutely great so far. Thanks a lot for any help!!

9 hours ago, Gardenfiend Games said:

If I have 30 files that are actually supposed to be Private, and then I create 20 new files, I have to painstakingly go through the list and figure out which should be added.

If you don't intend to commit these 30 files, you can tell Plastic to ignore them or their folder. If your project is properly set, you shouldn't see anything in the pending changes that isn't today's work in progress.

Also, if check if your ingnore.conf file is shared between users. I think it isn't by default and could be more convenient when working with people who don't already master version control.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc S said:

If you don't intend to commit these 30 files, you can tell Plastic to ignore them or their folder. If your project is properly set, you shouldn't see anything in the pending changes that isn't today's work in progress.

Also, if check if your ingnore.conf file is shared between users. I think it isn't by default and could be more convenient when working with people who don't already master version control.

Hey @Marc S - thanks for your replies across multiple forums 😀 

Alright, I kind of understand what you're saying - so basically we shouldn't really be keeping any 'permanent' Private files? So if we don't want a file to be in the repo, I should instead add it to the ignore list?

And if the project is set up correctly (ignore.conf), then when my teammates do some work and then go to Checkin, they should just be able to select all of the "Changed Items" as well as "Private and Added" files, and just push them all without having to look through the lists?

Also just tested the right-click "add to ignore" and I see that it adds it to the ignore.conf file (and not some other local/internal file), so that'll get updated on everyone's end 👍

Thanks for the help, I've been trying to get a lot of upgrades to my project done over the holiday break so that I can have it all ready when my team comes back to work - so this is one of those things (switching from Collab to Plastic), and I'm getting pretty close to fully understanding it.

28 minutes ago, Gardenfiend Games said:

Alright, I kind of understand what you're saying - so basically we shouldn't really be keeping any 'permanent' Private files? So if we don't want a file to be in the repo, I should instead add it to the ignore list?

Yes

28 minutes ago, Gardenfiend Games said:

And if the project is set up correctly (ignore.conf), then when my teammates do some work and then go to Checkin, they should just be able to select all of the "Changed Items" as well as "Private and Added" files, and just push them all without having to look through the lists?

Yes, just make sure ignore.conf isn't confifured to ignore itself and everybody will have the same settings.

29 minutes ago, Gardenfiend Games said:

Thanks for the help, I've been trying to get a lot of upgrades to my project done over the holiday break so that I can have it all ready when my team comes back to work - so this is one of those things (switching from Collab to Plastic), and I'm getting pretty close to fully understanding it.

Glad I could help. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1