"New changes available" doesn't update immediately

Francois Bertrand

We are showing our art team the workflow in Gluon. It's great, but we just realized that the nice "New changes available" button on the top right doesn't refresh directly when we hit the "refresh" button. We haven't dug into much, but it looks like it's on a timer (which is nice when the application is running in the background), but doesn't refresh when we explicitly refresh or update the workspace.

So it means that:

• after hitting "refresh", the project may have been updated, but there is NO "New changes available" button displayed, giving the impression that "refresh" didn't work
  • after "Update workspace", we STILL see "new changes available", even though there are no more changes available..., giving the impression that "update workspace" DIDN'T update

So right now, our instructions to artists is to not trust that "no changes available" display, which is not great. It's REALLY NICE to have, just wish it was more reliable. 😕

Note, it looks like going to "switch branch" and canceling DOES refresh the status. It should do that same status update when we hit "refresh" and "update workspace".

Thank you!

Francois

Hi,

The incoming changes notification is recalculated every minute. It's also recalculated when you change the window focos or when you perform some operations in Gluon that involces recalculating the incoming changes.

The refresh buttons are refreshing the view you have opened: Explore workspace, Checkin changes... but it's not related to the incoming changes calculation.

Regards,

Carlos.

Hi,

The incoming changes notification is recalculated every minute. It's also recalculated when you change the window focos or when you perform some operations in Gluon that involces recalculating the incoming changes.

The refresh buttons are refreshing the view you have opened: Explore workspace, Checkin changes... but it's not related to the incoming changes calculation.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, Francois Bertrand said:

after "Update workspace", we STILL see "new changes available", even though there are no more changes available..., giving the impression that "update workspace" DIDN'T update

I haven't seen this behavior in the past but I will try to reproduce. Can you consistently reproduce it?

Regards,

Carlos.

3 hours ago, calbzam said:

I haven't seen this behavior in the past but I will try to reproduce. Can you consistently reproduce it?

Yes; in Gluon at least, I just updated workspace, grabbed everything and it still says "new changes available" on the top right. Confusingly, clicking the "view" button on that section takes us to a view that shows "0 changes".

Would you consider refreshing the "New changes available" status in the following cases? I believe it would be trivial to implement and help the user experience:

• When the "refresh" button on the workspace is hit (after all, the expectation from the user is that we are refreshing the status of things)
  • After a file operation that could alter the changes available, such as "Update Workspace"

Thank you! I appreciate your follow-ups and please remember that your users comment because they like to use Plastic and only want to see it even better. :) 

Francois

Hi, 

The refresh in the "Checkin Changes" is what updates the status. After an operation that involves the incoming changes, the "New changes available" status should be also updated.

But it doesn't always happen in your tests, right? We can try to run some more tests in our labs.

Your feedback is very welcome.

Regards,

Carlos.

The main issue is outside of "checkin changes". My artist just loads up and, in the Explore Workspace view:

• Hitting "Update Workspace" will update the workspace, but not get rid of "new changes available" (even though it just got those changes)
  • Hitting "Refresh" on the workspace Explorer will not make "new changes available" appear if new changes were made available recently (I realize that button may be intended for files refesh, but the user would expect it to also refresh the status of changes...)

We've definitely seen this in Gluon (100% I think), not sure if it also happens in Plastic (it didn't for me this morning but I haven't done too many tests).

I hope this helps, definitely let me know if you would like further precisions.

Francois

• 4 weeks later...