What is the 'official' way to work against multiple servers?

dancercl

PlasticSCM supports multiple collaboration paradigms, centralized, distributes...and that is great.

But I've yet found a way to combine these paradigms easily.

Say on my laptop, I've setup a local server to manage some prototype projects, or some documents not meant to be shared with others, in the meantime I need to connect to the central company server at work. For now the user credential and the server connection is stored as a global configuration, which means often times I need to run 'client configuration' tool to switch servers, which is not very convenient.

I'm coming from a svn/git background where there is no global server configuration, each local workspace/repo is connected with it's own server configuration. With plasticSCM, each workspace DOES indeed has it's own server connection too, but I still feel like my ENTIRE SYSTEM is bound to a specific server at any given time, the design choice is not very understandable to me. So, is there something I'm missing?

Seto is right.

You will need profiles (https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/gui/plastic-scm-version-control-gui-guide.shtml#TheProfilesTab) to be able to communicate with extra external servers.

Then syncing is a problem of pushing and pulling the needed information from the central server to your computer or viceversa.

You'll obviously use a different repository to sync with the external server.

Archived