Diff viewer omits sections during navigation

marioo

There are two minor bugs in the diff viewer (pending changes):

1. When you navigate through changes using the previous/next difference buttons, in specific conditions one section is omitted.

2. The text box to the right does not accept tabs (pressing the tab key makes no effect).

The second point is obvious, so let me concentrate on the first one only:

1. Make changes in at least three secions of a file in your workspace, so that the diff viewer in pending changes indicates all of them independently.

2. Jump to any of the changed secions using the 'next difference' button.

3. Press the arrows >> in between the two text boxes so that the piece of text from the left text box is restored to the right text box.

4. Now jump to the next changed secion using the 'next difference' button again.

At this point you will notice that one changed section was omitted, e.g. if you restored the first section in point 3, you will jump to the third section instead of the second one.

PS.

I'm using the 5.4.16.677 - Johannesburg version now, and I would like to tell you that you made a great job changing the diff view. It is awesome now, really!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Manu,

do you still remember about this issue? Seems it is still there in 5.4.16.719, but the problem is actually somewhat different than I described. When you restore a changed section or delete it, the selection immediately moves to a next changed section. Hovewer, the view does not follow the selection (let's say the file is long, so you don't see the next change in the window). So when you click the Next difference button later on, you have an impression one section was ommited. Here's the problem! :-) Do you know what I mean, because I'm not sure if I described it clearly?

I'm not sure what solution would be best to solve the problem. IMHO it is perfectly fine that the view does not follow the selection automatically (the user may not want it). I think I would rather change the automatic selection change behaviour, that is I wouldn't jump to a next changed section automatically after the user restores/deletes a section. Instead I would hide selection until the user clicks the Next difference button. When they eventually do that, I woud continue selecting changed sections starting from the one that follows the last restored/deleted section. What do you think?

And one more thing. I know I should rather open a new thread, but I hope you won't mind it if I mention one more diff viewer issue here. Namely, the diff viewer does not accept tabs. Pressing the Tab key does not work (I would expect inserting a tab character or multiple spaces - depending on editor options).

Greetings!

Archived