How do I delete a branch with revisons?

korbin

I have a branch that I haven't worked on in a long time and don't want to merge it back into my main branch so it' no longer needed. When I go to delete the branch in the branch explorer I get the following message:

Can't remove this branch because it has revisions.

How do I remove this branch?

Korbin, if the branch has no revisions you would be able to delete it. But Im afraid you cannot delete a branch, it is not supported in 3.0.

What you can do is to hide this branch by means of adjusting permissions, be careful when dealing with permissions, understand them well, and even try them on another system before implementing them.

here is the security guide: http://www.plasticscm.com/releases/3.0.1/manuals-html/en/securityguide.htm

cheers,

Miller

Korbin' date=' if the branch has no revisions you would be able to delete it. But Im afraid you cannot delete a branch, it is not supported in 3.0.

What you can do is to hide this branch by means of adjusting permissions, be careful when dealing with permissions, understand them well, and even try them on another system before implementing them.

here is the security guide: http://www.plasticscm.com/releases/3.0.1/manuals-html/en/securityguide.htm

cheers,

Miller

Ok, thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know if this feature will be supported in 4.0? It's not a huge deal, I'm just one of those people that likes to keep my branches neat and tidy :P

• 3 months later...

Hi Sebastian,

mmmmmm, in PlasticSCM 3.0 if you create a new and virgin branch you ARE able to remove it.

It's true there is a virtual cset, but it doesn´t have revisions inside... so there is no problem about deleting the new branch....

Regards,

manu

Hi Manu,

I updated to Plastic 3.0.187.32 - and I indeed seem to be able to remove virgin branches in our test repository, as well as from our main one.

However, we have a virgin branch which I actually wanted to delete, and it still refuses saying: "Can't remove this branch because it hsa revisions" . It doesn't have anything in its default "virtual changeset", if I diff for changes in that branch it states the also states the truth: "No content to compare." .

I believe that our main repository is broken somehow, as this is not the only inconsistency it shows.

Regards,

Sebastian

But you are right, it definitely works for all the branches which are not my one. I wished I could reproduce this state in a test repository, but I don't see anything special about this particular branch.

Archived