Changes in the same branch generating another branch automatically

cidico

Hello,

I was working on my machine using a branch and a friend was working in the same branch is his machine.

We made changes to the same file and when he performed the push to my local repository, plastic has created another branch with a weird name automatically instead of performing the merge in file.

Why does this occurred ?

I was never questioned about this action.

The picture of the branch is attached.

The first picture is the branch created. the last one.

The second picture is the content of the changeset:

You see that the file.

I just want to know why the new branch was created. I didn't understand the reason. I want to prevent this kind of action.

Thanks in advance,

Plácido Bisneto

cidico, hi

so the newly created branch is a fetch branch.. it has "fth"? I cant see it on the screen-dump.

OK, what you have is a distributed scenario, each developer has his own server "it is all good and OK".

now, both of you changes a the same file on same branch "On different servers", so that branch evolved independently, and user B pushed his changes to your local server, of course a fetch branch is created to allow you to integrate "merge" the conflictive changes into your branch this is the way distributed work, and well explained in the distributed manual at: http://www.plasticscm.com/releases/3.0.1/manuals-html/en/distributedsystem.htm#_Toc283131712

I hope that helps,

Miller

Hi there!

It is important to highlight that we've changed this behavior in 4.0. Now instead of "fetch branches" we create "subbranches" which make more sense. What "subbranches" are about? Check this http://www.flickr.com/photos/plasticscm/6212249846/ and you'll find that now there are like "parallel paths" inside the same branch. Clearer than fetch branches.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for reopening this question, but I just want to keep in context one doubt:

When I perform a merge and there is a fetch branch created, do I need to replicate the fetch branch to others or I can keep it on my machine, only replicating the branch with the fetch modifications merged?

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend to merge the the fetch branch into the original branch, so that other users have the latests contents correctly updated. Fetch branches are a temporary solution to handle this special situations in Plastic SCM 3.0 and they're not intented to be replicated back and forth.

Best,

Luis

Archived