DB changes and best practice..

AndyBrew

Hi

We are migrating to Plastic SCM in the new year from our MS SourceSafe environment, there are only three of us developing and we currently work on the same set of source code via SS and have a development SQL database that we all change as required. One of the exciting developments will be to use the task/branch approach allowing us to develop the software in our own isolated workspace without impacting on each other and also being able to merge individual tasks into the main branch and release independently etc. all great stuff bring significant benefits :)

However my question is how do people manage their database changes, these are outside of the PSCM environment, obviously if I modify a stored procedure within the development SQL database that we all share, even though other developers are not impacted from a source code point of view but there system will crash when they attempt to run the stored procedure because of my modification to the stored procedure??

How do people manage this, should each developer have their own local database, and then merge their DB changes when they merge their source code into the main branch?

Opinions welcomed :)

It highly depends on the project.

What we do (but ours is not a database intensive system, so won't apply to everyone):

- Database schema tracked under plastic scm (.sql text files)

- Changes are branches or merged from there

- Each of us runs his own db server (from sqlite to postgresql)

What others do:

- Take a look at the amazing RedGate's tools http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/

Hi

Yes funnily enough we use RedGate SQL Compare and Data Compare tools currently they are superb!

And yes we are going to store our SQL scripts in plastic to allow us to audit our changes with each developer having a copy the schema on their local machine,

Great minds think alike LOL!

Thanks

Andy

• 2 months later...

In my case (working with a mysql server on a virtual machine) it would be wonderful if I could give the workspace the credentials it needs to ssh into the server and grab a backup of the database when I make new changesets (I imagine it as an extra option when committing a changeset). For me and a lot of people that feature would be HUGE.

Archived