Problems after changing server address

Sean

Hi,

I'm having issues after running plastic after updating the server address on a client.

I installed plastic and configured it to connect to server X on the default port, everything went smoothly and was working perfectly. This installation was connecting to the server through a VPN so the ip address for the configuration was 192.168.0.7

I've then decided to see if I could get plastic to run successfully outside of the VPN so I ran the client configuration wizard again and put in the new server host name etc

The first thing that happened when I opened plastic again was that it loaded very slow before timing out on trying to load the workspace details. I wasn't able to delete any workspaces because trying to switch to a workspace just resulted in another timeout. So I went and deleted the workspaces file.

Opening plastic again i'm prompted to set up my workspaces which I do but the same error appears in plastic after it opens. The error is "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.0.7:8087:192.168.0.7:8087"

I've uninstalled and re-installed, deleted what I can find from the registry and AppData folders but no matter what I do Plastic is still trying to connect to the old address.

Can you please advise on if there are any further configuration files that might be causing the problem? I've already checked my client.conf and it has the correct address.

Plastic version 4.0.239.0

Also if I install plastic under a new user on the same computer and put the new server address in, everything works as expected. It's only on a user where I have initially set up a different server address that causes this issue.

Hello Sean,

please try the following:

1) Configure your client to connect to your new server (I think is your current status)

2) Open a command line window and change your directory to one of your workspaces path.

3) Issue an "cm update ."

4) Repeat the process for each workspace you have in the machine.

5) Open the PlasticSCM GUI.

Tell me if it works for you.

Manu

Hi Manu,

Thanks for your reply. This unfortunately did not resolve the issue though.

I followed those steps and it still comes up with the same error. The GUI thinks it should be connecting to the correct address however when I run the command it tries to connect to something completely different.

I can't seem to get the attachments function working to show you a screenshot of the GUI with a completely different address than what it's trying to connect to. Let me know if you want me to email this to you.

Regards,

Sean

I believe I have figured out what the issue is.

The problem is only happening to one repository. The repository it is happening on just happens to be one that I xlinked to another repository.

Going through my cmd history I can see that the command I typed was similar to "cm xl -w Library / cs:2@cfLibrary@192.168.0.7:8087"

So what's happening is when I try to update my first repository it's trying to grab the rest of the information from this address instead of the correct one.

What is going to be the best way to resolve this issue?

He Sean,

ok, in your case you need yo edit the xlink, It's still pointing to the old IP... which is normal due to nobody told Plastic that the xlinked repository is now located in a new IP.

So you just need to issue the following:

cm xlink xlink / TheCsetNumber@YourRepName@NewIP:NewPort -e -w

With the "-e" parameter you are specifying that you want to edit the xlink.

Don't forget the "-w" if your xlink is a writable one.

Regards,

Manu.

Hi Manu,

I've actually just completely deleted the old repo's and started from scratch to resolve it.

I would like to help you improve the program and resolve the issue though so I'll point out why you cannot use the above method.

Whenever you try and swap to the main branch you get the error I mention above. Because of this, you are not able to download the xlink files and therefore when trying to run the above command you get an error along the lines of "can't creat xlink because xlink XYZ is not found at this location" (Sorry but I don't have the exact error)

Basically it says you can't edit the xlink because it's not there. There needs to be a way to edit the xlink on the repository instead of locally and then checking in.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Sean

Hi Sean,

you are totally right, we don't need more information, it's a bug.

I'm very sorry about it since you can't do nothing to fix it but returning to the old ip and remove the Xlink.

It's a very annoying bug for the user, I'm sorry.

I've just add the task and it will be fixed in the incoming sprint.

Hi Manu,

Thanks for the update. It's not such a problem since it only happened during my testing for evaluation of 4.0 but I look forward to the next release :)

Another problem though even if all addresses are working, editing xlinks doesn't work. You can edit the xlink but you cannot check in the changes because it doesn't show up in pending changes. If you try to check in using cm ci you get "Error: Object not set to an instance of an object"

Thanks,

Sean

Another problem though even if all addresses are working, editing xlinks doesn't work. You can edit the xlink but you cannot check in the changes because it doesn't show up in pending changes. If you try to check in using cm ci you get "Error: Object not set to an instance of an object"

Can you post here how you are editing the Xlink?

Can you also add the following entry into your "client.conf" file in order to see the full stacktrace? (You will find the file at "C:\Users\your_user\AppData\Local\plastic)

<StackTrace>YES</StackTrace>

Once you have the full error please sen it to us, I also need the output of the "cm version" command.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived