plastic 4.0 "Browse repository on this label" shows everything in the repo, not only the labelled items

diegobowen

Yes, you're right, we changed the way in which labels are applied.

We used to follow the "per item" label, so "link" between a label and an item (file or directory) was created.

It means: labeling project with 50k files means you had to create 50k new links.

We made tons of optimizations, but it was linear with size.

Now in 4.0 we just label changesets, so it is a 1 to 1 relationship. It is extremely fast, independently of the repo size.

The downside, as you point, is that you can't "play" with labels anymore to set it to a "single" file only. Maybe using attributes for it will be better. We're open to suggestions.

It seems the change is good for almost everyone out there, but I admit it was a risky change, with a big win in 99% of situations.

Also one of our developers had the following question:

Frequently, there are times when I have to make modifications to a document for a particular version of code after the code has been labeled. The code and documents generally share a label, so does this mean that if I have to move the label on a document (or apply it at a different time), will it move the label on the code?

Hi diegobowen,

In Plastic4.0, as psantosl said, you can only label changesets, you can't label files individually anymore.

You have your point and labeling individual elements was useful but it was expensive too, the performance was very poor.

So, answering to your question, yes, you have to move the label to the final version, or create a new label and apply it.

And no, you can't label a single item using the command line. Sorry.

Manu.

Archived