Slow update of pending changes

d98rolb

I have checked in about 8500 files and sometimes the update of pending changes is VERY slow. I have a refresh here that takes 8 minutes the first time. How is this possible ?

In this case there is 182 files changed. Largest files are about 10 MB in size.

I am using a local SQL Server Developer edition on a virtual machine with VMWare Fusion on a MacBook pro.

Hello d98rolb,

8 minutes is not normal at all.....

Do you have the option "Compare file contents instead of timestamps when determining "changed" status" enabled? It will be faster if you don't have it enabled.

Let's see if the performance is dying at IO calls.

Repeat the process with all the Pending changes view options disabled but the "Show checked-out items" tell us the time. Then repeat the test with the "Show checked-out items" and "Show changed items" options enabled.

Manu.

Hi d98rolb,

The "pending changes view" only connects one time with the server and the call should be very very fast. The rest of the time is only IO disk time.

But, just in case, please send to us the "ChannelCall.txt" log file, you will find it on the PlasticSCM server directory.

You can reach me at: mlucio at codicesoftware dot com.

Manu.

Fine,

we will be alert if it raises again....

FYI, we are developing a new cool command that will be useful to determine where are the installation bottlenecks! It's very interesting due to we will be able to see the network performance, IO performance, CPU and so on!

They are sent. I believe the slowness come from when I check in some files by mistake, in this case some log-files. I delete the files from disk afterwards.

Then when I refresh pending changes it was very slow.

The files was marked as missing from disk.

So I marked the files in items and choose Update forced.

Then the files was marked as Controlled/Cloaked instead. And the refresh was faster :)

But I think PlasticScm should take care of this and not try to search for nonexisting files.

Archived