Problem when changing Resource files in Visual Studio

cidico

Hi!

I was adding some Resource files to my project and I checked in the files.

Then I needed to change some values. I added some new strings but the changes were not performed.

One thing I noticed is that the "visual" file of the resource was checked out, but the generated code (that keeps all values of the Resource file) was not.

Is it a bug or a normal feature of Visual Studio?

Sure! :)

Do this test:

1. Create a project in Visual studio;
  2. Add a Resource File;
  3. Checkin this file;
  4. Open the resource file (by double clicking on it);
  5. Add a value to the file;

You'll see that the ResourceFile.Designer.cs is not checked out and your change made is not there. If I manually add an empty space to checkout the .Designer.cs file and I add a value to the Resource everything works.

Got it?

Hummmm...

It worked!

I guess that it is a problem of Visual Studio integration right? Not plastic itself.

I know that your plugin uses the same integration that VSS or TFS, so it maybe a problem when using them too.

My guess is that VS itself is not checking out the .Designer files.

Well, more or less is what you are saying, the problem here is that the VS "save" hook is not telling us all the files that must be checked-out.

We will try to think a way to bypass the VS limitation.

You can work without the read-only attribute without problems, it's faster :)

Well, some people are more comfortable working with the read-only attribute, old times you know.

But it's 100% safe working without it, and you save time every time you run an update since you don't have to set the read-only attribute. (you can run a "cm update . --noparallel --stats" on a empty workspace and check the time lost on it)

Archived