Duplicate user after v3->v4 causing auth problems

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help here.

We're using ActiveDirectory-based authentication. I had a v3 install on server A and wanted to move to server B, migrate to MSSQL backend and also upgrade to v4. I installed v4 with MSSQL on Server B, did fast-export from server A and fast-import on B. The imports ran fine. So far, all good.

I then tried to get clients connected up, and started having problems. My normal AD user was refused as "inactive", and when I went to activate is using "cm au", I was told that I needed to be the repository server admin to do that. I am the repository server admin. Just to be sure, I tried it when logged in as the server admin account (the only other account I could possibly have been logged in as when setting up Plastic 4), and got the same "you need to be server repository admin" message.

I then looked through the docs and forums and tried "cm li" results were:

Plastic SCM license information:

* User-license information:

Administrator			 ACTIVE
almcnicoll				ACTIVE
almcnicoll				INACTIVE (Not licensed)
jlawton				   INACTIVE (Not licensed)
jmason					INACTIVE (Not licensed)
mknowles				  INACTIVE (Not licensed)
cfulton				   INACTIVE (Not licensed)

Note that my user (almcnicoll) appears twice, once as active and once as inactive. How did that happen?

I'm struggling to unpick the mess here - can anyone give me pointers on what to do? Specifically, the questions I think I need to answer are:

1. Who is the server repository administrator? (as Plastic doesn't think it's me)
  2. Why is the almcnicoll user listed twice, and how can I fix that?

All help gratefully received.

Al

1. Who is the server repository administrator? (as Plastic doesn't think it's me)

The "Server repository administrator" is the repository server owner, you can change it by clicking in "Repositories" -> right click in one of your repositories -> "Repository server permissions". In the permissions form you will be able to change the repository owner.

1. Why is the almcnicoll user listed twice, and how can I fix that?

My guess here is that you performed the fast-import with the PlasticSCM 4 server configured with "Local users" as your security configuration (it's the installation default value). Then after the fast-import you change it to AD, amI right?

If I'm right, the fast-import inserted automatically the users "almcnicoll", "jlawton", "jmason", "mknowles" and "cfulton" since they took part in the repository history. After that, when you switch to AD a new user called "almcnicoll" was added since it's not really the same as the fast-import.

My guess here is that you performed the fast-import with the PlasticSCM 4 server configured with "Local users" as your security configuration (it's the installation default value). Then after the fast-import you change it to AD, amI right?

Thank you for your quick reply. I suspect that you are right - I don't think I configured the server security before the fast-import. Is there a default password for the automatically-created users?

I'm thinking that the right way to unpick this is:

1. Switch back to Local User security.
  2. Create a username that doesn't conflict with an Active Directory user and log in as that user
  3. Remove all other local user accounts
  4. Switch back to Active Directory security

The only other way I can think of involves wiping the DB and repositories and starting again with the fast-imports - not something I would like to do if I can avoid it. Could you confirm if the above sounds like the right way forward?

Thanks,

Al

Archived