referencing changesets

epeleg

There are times where I want to refer to a specific changeset I have on some branch,

(usually from some check in comment).

I used to just write "whatever something CS:180 etc.",

but I just today realized that those numbers are different on each server so If a coworker will look at this comment it will not make sense based on the CS numbers he sees.

I wanted to know if you have a better way to do this ?

If not then maybe there should be some syntax (maybe CS:number) that when it is detected when saving a comment it is not stored as is but as "CSGUID:guid" and when CSGUID:guid is detected when displaying such a comment it is displayed as CS:number with the correct number for the current server.

Eyal

Hi Eyal,

you are right, the changesets Id's are only valid for the working repository, in a replicated repository is very is likely to have a different id.

But the changesets have an unique ID (the GUID) you can see it using the Branch Explorer (check attached image)

You can use the GUID inside a "cm find" command, but I'm afraid that is the only command that allows you to work with GUID's. Do you need it in more commands?

post-112-0-81227000-1331115118_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

O.K. I was not accurate in what I said, The GUIDs do show on the properties panel,

But they done show as part of the graph, So I can not sroll the graph looking for a specific CS by its GUID.

and anyway, as I said even if they were its not easy to compare then at a glance.

Is there any other way to find a CS based on its GUID?

It will be possible to find changesets by GUID using the branch explorer filter. But it's not implemented yet, quite simple.

For now you can use:

1) The changeset view, just paste the GUID inside the filter and you will see the cset.

2) The find sysmtem, cm find "changeset where guid='703bb582-fd75-4859-ab68-e7a0d22263c1'"

Archived