Bug in Database Migration Wizard

Using PlasticSCM community edition's admintool.exe (v4.00.0239.0019) to migrate from SQL CE to SQL Server 2008 (v10.0.2531) I encountered a few challenges and a bug with the database migration wizard.

1. It is unclear if the tool will be creating database(s) or if one should create them on their own. Now I know, the tool creates them. This of course, alters the permissions necessary on the supplied user.
  2. The default connection string includes DATABASE={0}. Okay, what do I put there? Answer - nothing. Don't touch it. Nothing you type will be going there - except for the database suffix appended to the database name the tool will generate.
    • I understand now that you are creating a .NET format string for this and you are presenting the whole thing to the user. Perhaps you should not present the portion that the user does not need to edit.

[*]BUG: Since I didn't know it needed to create databases, I initially created a service account, PlasticSCM, and gave it simple Read and Write permissions, created my own database and gave the user permissions to it. I now know that was wrong. However after realizing it and changing to using a different user account, it still did not work. Spying using SQL Server Profiler showed that it was still using the original PlasticSCM account. I had to close and reopen the admintool.exe to get it to use a different user account.

Thanks. Up and running on SQL Server 2008 now. The evaluation continues... and I'm liking what I see.

Greg

Hello Greg,

thanks for your feedback it will really help us to improve the admintool.

• It is unclear if the tool will be creating database(s) or if one should create them on their own. Now I know, the tool creates them. This of course, alters the permissions necessary on the supplied user.

Yes, the tool creates the databases automatically, I think we have to indicate this inside the wizard. Regarding the permissions issue check point 3)

• The default connection string includes DATABASE={0}. Okay, what do I put there? Answer - nothing. Don't touch it. Nothing you type will be going there - except for the database suffix appended to the database name the tool will generate.
  • I understand now that you are creating a .NET format string for this and you are presenting the whole thing to the user. Perhaps you should not present the portion that the user does not need to edit.

This is not the first time the user gets confused about the "DATABASE={0}" parameter, we will add some kind of help warning about it or we'll simply do what you propose, hide those parameters that the user should not modify. You are right it's a .NET connection string.

• BUG: Since I didn't know it needed to create databases, I initially created a service account, PlasticSCM, and gave it simple Read and Write permissions, created my own database and gave the user permissions to it. I now know that was wrong. However after realizing it and changing to using a different user account, it still did not work. Spying using SQL Server Profiler showed that it was still using the original PlasticSCM account. I had to close and reopen the admintool.exe to get it to use a different user account.

This bug is fixed in 239.18 :) Now when you open the admintool it claims to be runned as administrator, as the server or configureserver tool does.

Thanks again for your feedback, and if you have any question regarding Plastic SCM don't hesitate to contact us again :)

Hi Greg,

Just a quick update to Manu's comment. Point number 2 that you mention has already been reworked to ask for specifc fields (instead of leaving you with the raw connection string). Here is a screenshot.

post-8-0-95472700-1332497090_thumb.png

It'll be released in Plastic SCM 4.1 soon.

The default connection string includes DATABASE={0}. Okay, what do I put there? Answer - nothing. Don't touch it. Nothing you type will be going there - except for the database suffix appended to the database name the tool will generate.

Cheers!

David

Great work folks. Thanks.

Now, fill in the default location you will create database files at if the user does not specify a path. I presumed if I didn't specify anything, you would not either and the database server's default path would be used, not your default path which was not displayed anywhere.

Greg

Archived