wrong base used for merge

epeleg

maybe I am misreading something but it seems like the 3-way merge is using a base version that is "too old".

more specifically it is using the parent of the the first common ancestor of the merged files.

Could it be something that I am doing wrong?

Or is this a know bug? (my plastic version is an early 4.0 - where do i see the actual version?)

Is there a way to force the merge tool to use another base?

You can specify a custom ancestor using the command line merge functionality.

Can you try to explain us the common ancestor Plastic is selecting and the one you think is the right one? If you can do it using screenshot it will be better! :)

sorry, I would realy love to help as much as possible, but the merge was already done so no screen shots, and anyway I am not sure if it would have fitted within the screen :).

that said, It seemed (at least for the merge that caused me to write this post) that it was using the parent changeset of the one that I would expect him to use. (as I wrote: "more specifically it is using the parent of the the first common ancestor of the merged files").

• 1 month later...

Manu, please do not forget to share your findings here.

epeleg, you know there's a "explain merge" feature on the merge tab in 4.x. There you can find which one is the ancestor (it is marked on the branch explorer), so it helps understanding why the ancestor is taken.

It is important to remember that ancestor can vary if you're using a replicated repo and the full history is not replicated (which is pretty normal but the developer has to consider that the way in which merges can be done doesn't have all the required info)

Hi epeleg!

I'm trying to run the same merge as you, but I think that I'm getting a different base than you, take a look into this:

post-112-0-25870500-1338196173_thumb.png

Let's do something, (the test branch can be later removed from the system)

1) Create a branch from changeset 1065 and switch to it.

2) Right click in changeset 1067 and choose "Merge from this changeset"

3) Click in this button inside the merge tab: post-112-0-54741200-1338196383_thumb.png

Show us how the new merge explanation branch explorer looks like.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

The merge explanation branch explorer looks o.k. it shows the base I would expect.

However, If I choose manual merge and go on to the actual merge,

Then in the merge tool it shows the base changeset to be some parent of the changeset being displayed.

actually while creating the image describing the changes [Which I currently can't find how to upload]

it seems like all the CS numbers there are different.

specifically I get in the explanation BrEx source:cs:1067, destination:cs:1065, & base:cs:1059 while the mergetool shows source:1066 and base:1056.

Eyal

Archived