newbie questions

mrdo

hi there,

i'm currently evaluating the community version of Plastic SCM.

i've installed the software on the server as i just want to be able to demo the software to a couple of other developers at this stage (note: i'm doing all of this as a single user). i am specifically looking to use Plastic SCM in the non-parallel exclusive mode.

using the windows explorer interface, when i select a file i only have 'checkout for edit' available when i'm led to believe that there should be a 'checkout exclusive' option ?

also, when i view the history of a document, every comment is displayed as '.' rather than the text that i entered in the Checkin Comments area of the Checkin dialog. am i missing something ?

lastly, is there an option to force a dialog when a document is checked out ?

thanks in advance !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome mrdo!

i am specifically looking to use Plastic SCM in the non-parallel exclusive mode.

Are you comming from VSS?

using the windows explorer interface, when i select a file i only have 'checkout for edit' available when i'm led to believe that there should be a 'checkout exclusive' option ?

The exclusive co is not available in the 4.0 series. It will be included in the incoming 4.1 release.

also, when i view the history of a document, every comment is displayed as '.' rather than the text that i entered in the Checkin Comments area of the Checkin dialog. am i missing something ?

This is a bug and it's fixed in the incoming 4.1 release.

lastly, is there an option to force a dialog when a document is checked out ?

A dialog? In order to confirm the co?

hi there,

no i'm not coming from VSS although it's a VSS-like model that i'm looking for.

yes, a dialog would be perfect - it's useful to tie an edit on a file to a bug or a change request unless there's another way to do that ?

thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated. :-)

yes, a dialog would be perfect - it's useful to tie an edit on a file to a bug or a change request unless there's another way to do that ?

Ummm in your case I do recommend the task per branch methodology: http://www.plasticscm.com/infocenter/technical-articles/kb-branch-per-task-workflow.aspx

It's a cleaner way to maintain the repository. You can attach the bug or change to a branch instead of a changeset. As I said it's cleaner and faster. You will be able to track changes much faster even if you are coding alone.

Take a look to the blog post and tell me if it makes sense.

• 4 months later...

hi there,

finally back with some more questions. i've downloaded version 4.1.10.333 - Liverpool to try out.

am i right in saying that exclusive locks are not turned on by default ? how will i know when i've configured the lock.conf file correctly - i don't seem to be able to see any differences.

i see that labels are mentioned in the documentation but i can't seem to see where i would set a label ?

finally, is it possible to force a comment on file checkout ? it's handy for me to list files that i still have checked out once per month and read a comment as to why the file is checked out.

thanks for your help !

am i right in saying that exclusive locks are not turned on by default ? how will i know when i've configured the lock.conf file correctly - i don't seem to be able to see any differences.

i see that labels are mentioned in the documentation but i can't seem to see where i would set a label ?

Once you have the lock.conf file configured you can perform a checkout operation and the issue the following command:

cm listlocks

see that labels are mentioned in the documentation but i can't seem to see where i would set a label ?

In the GUI you have the Labels view inside the "Other actions"

post-112-0-98841100-1344956307_thumb.png

You can create new labels form this view or from the branch explorer by right clicking a changeset.

finally, is it possible to force a comment on file checkout ? it's handy for me to list files that i still have checked out once per month and read a comment as to why the file is checked out.

Sorry, but there are no checkout comments. By the way, why do you leave checkouts so much time?

hi there,

thanks for the reply.

unfortunately, i can't seem to do anything with the demo that i've set up - i'm getting the 'No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it' error. both the client and server are running on the local machine and all i've done so fat is check the same file in and out again a few times. any ideas ?

will i see any difference on the front-end with exclusive locks ? i think i read somewhere that a new command is available once exclusive locks are enabled ?

when we check out files, the testing can take weeks to complete so the files can stay checked-out for a long time. sometimes a change can be started by higher priority work means that the change can take weeks to get back to.

thanks again

It seems that something is wrongly configured.

• Check the port used by the server and make sure that the client is configured to work with it.
  • Check also the ip which is configured in the client.
  • Check that there's no firewall/antivirus blocking the port.

everything is running on the local machine so ip and port numbers are fine - i haven't changed anything. will try an uninstall and reinstall.

thanks for your help.

before i forget - i notice that a while ago there was talk of a netbeans plugin - is one available ?

craig

correct ! the error seems to be pointing to port 8084 but both the client config and server config are set to port 8087.

tried changing the ports in both config apps to 8084 without success. :-(

also tried changing the port in the admin tool which has now updated but the error message is still pointing to port 8084.

hi there,

i'm having problems configuring exclusive checkouts - i assume that i must have made a mistake in the conf file :

rep:default lockserver:localhost:8087

*.html

the checkin option is still there for a different user - is this correct.

i'm also getting an error on some of the files within the .plastic directory of my repository as they are read-only. any ideas ?

thanks again

It seems that the file is fine. Did you restart the Plastic SCM server? You need to restart it in order to be read.

i'm also getting an error on some of the files within the .plastic directory of my repository as they are read-only. any ideas ?

I'm not sure about what you are trying to explain, do you have some kind of error message? Can you please explain it a little bit more?

hi there,

i have a single code base and multiple local users accessing the same single version of the code.

user A checks out a document and when user B tries to open the plastic SCM client, a couple of the plastic.* files in the hidden .plastic directory located within the root of my code are locked meaning that user B cannot see any privileges in the Plastic SCM client. if i change the permissions on the files in the .plastic directory, everything works as expected.

hope that makes sense. :-)

Archived