newbie questions

mrdo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmm what's the aim of having that setup? I understand that having a single workspace on a shared drive to work between windows and linux is very useful but I don't see the point about having multiple users working on the same workspace :S

Of course Plastic is not designed to work in that way. 1 workspace 1 developer.

we have a complex code configuration meaning that we all have to work from the same codebase. it's not practical for us to have multiple codebases.

the scenario seems to work fine when i update the permissions on the files - do you think that this will cause any problems ?

The plastic.* files are created by the first user that uses Plastic if the second user that runs Plastic is not able to modify those files Plastic is going to complain.

If you are able to set a correct permission policy between all the users that are going to be using the workspace I think there's not going to be problems with Plastic.

There are a couple of actions that can't be executed at the same time. Update, ci, merge...

the idea behind using Plastic SCM is to stop users performing actions at the same time (hopefully) so that's not a problem.

could you also tell me if i should be seeing any diference when i have exclusive checkouts configured ? i was hoping that the checkin option would be disabled or have i understood it wrongly ?

thanks for your assistance so far

Hello mrdo,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your situation but If your developers are using the same workspace there's no way to double checkout the same item since it's already checked out by the first user. And if you commit the workspace commits you are in danger about committing different users changes.

The exclusive lock will work fine if you have serveral workspaces and you co and item, then the same item will not be able to be checked out by anyone in a different workspace.

Can you tell us why is so complex to have a workspace per developer? It's a hardware constrain?

i don't want to double checkout the same file, just single check it out. if i'm working on a file, no-one else can work on it until i'm finished.

at the moment, if i check the file out, another user still has the optionof checking in the file (but not checking it out as expected).

there's nothing stopping us from having a copy of the code each so we could have a workspace per developer but we'd need to push the updated file back to the server to check the changes without checking the file back in. i'm not sure if this is possible ?

i don't want to double checkout the same file, just single check it out. if i'm working on a file, no-one else can work on it until i'm finished.

Maybe doable using the triggers, but it's hard, understand that if you are working on the same workspace, since all the developers are working with the same file and they are able to commit the changes in any moment.

And another thing is prevent that a different developer can access to the file and modify it while you are also doing it...

we'd need to push the updated file back to the server to check the changes without checking the file back in. i'm not sure if this is possible ?

You can use the shelve operation, I'm not sure if it fits 100% in your scenario but is the closer thing we can provide you.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there,

a few questions - i'm trying to check some files back in which i have added to a shelf. i get an error telling me that this can't be done because there is a merge in process but i can't see any details of what the merge is. any ideas ?

i'm also looking to a trigger to prevent other users checking in a document that i have checked out - am i best to use the before-checkin event to check that the current user checked the document out and either grant or refuse checkin ?

do you have any examples ?

thanks in advance

hi there,

thanks for taking the time to reply.

yes, i did have a pending merge. fixed now. :-)

i think i have exclusive checkouts configured. i have multiple users working on a single set of code and i want to prevent userB from checking in a file that userA has checked out. does exclusive checkouts help in that situation ?

thanks again

Hi,

If both users are working in different workspaces, yes, exclusive checkout will prevent the check in. To check if you have the exclusive checkout configured, just try to checkout the same items in two different workspaces. (or else, check the lock.conf file in your server folder).

Hi mrdo,

here you have the trigger, it will deny external Plastic SCM users the commit operation if the file was not checked out by themselves.

The zip password is: "plasticforum"

This is how you have to use it:

C:\Users\Manuel>cm maketrigger before-clientcheckout "ExCoTrigger" "C:\Users\Manuel\Documents\dev\ExclusiveClientCo\ExclusiveClientCo\bin\Debug\ExclusiveClientCo.exe --co"
C:\Users\Manuel>cm maketrigger before-clientcheckin "ExCoTrigger" "C:\Users\Manuel\Documents\dev\ExclusiveClientCo\ExclusiveClientCo\bin\Debug\ExclusiveClientCo.exe --ci"

The first one will log the checkout elements, the second one will check if you are able to commit.

Make sure all the users have write/read permissions on the Plastic SCM client installation path. The Plastic trigger is going to log there the files that are checked out.

The source code is included in the zip so feel free to modify it as you want. The binary is at \ExclusiveClientCo\ExclusiveClientCo\bin\Debug.

Tell me if it works for you.

ExclusiveClientCo.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

Many thanks for taking the time to create the trigger - much appreciated. :-)

I'm now getting the following error - any ideas ? I've given read/write access to the client directory as instructed.

Error trying to run trigger before-clientcheckin ExCoTrigger Access is denied.

Thanks again !

Ummm Review the permissions, check if you are able, for example, to create a new file from the command line in the path given by the "cm location" command.

Check also if the path where the .exe trigger is located has the right permissions.

In the worst of the cases you can download visual studio express and debug the program to discover the path that is causing the issue.

Archived