Cherry Pick Merge Strangeness...

WDIScottC

Hey all,

Here's the problem I'm experiencing:

I Cherry Picked a few files from another branch, and those files made it into the project.

I then made some changes to the project and went to check them in.

When I click to checkin the Pending Changes, I get an error message:

"Checkin operation cannot be started because there is a merge in progress. Finish it before checkin the changes."

In the Pending Changes screen, under pending merge links, the Cherry pick operation appears.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to process the Cherry Pick merge. I see the pending Merge Link from the other branch in the Branch Explorer, but when I try to Merge from any changelist (even using the Process all merges" button), I get this error:

"A new merge cannot be started because there is already a merge in progress."

So, any ideas on how I can process this Cherry Pick merge?

Thanks for the help!

Hello WDIScottC,

dis you perform a complete cherry pick or a partial cherry pick, I mean did you process all the files proposed by the cherry pick or you only selected a couple of them?

In Plastic SCM 4 you can't perform partial merger, you must merge all the items in the list.

I'll do the old "duplicate local, revert, copy over files" solution.

If you are only interested in a couple of files the revert operation inside the history view will do the job.

I'm not sure about the how works your "duplicate local, revert, copy over files" solution, try the revert operation.

I find it confusing that it's called "cherry pick" yet you can't actually pick which files you want to merge. My understanding is it only merges items from that branch and not from the parent. Sometimes I want to merge only a few files for another developer to get that partial feature. I find I have to cherry pick then revert the unwanted files which is a pain as it can't be done from the diff screen.

I find it confusing that it's called "cherry pick" yet you can't actually pick which files you want to merge. My understanding is it only merges items from that branch and not from the parent. Sometimes I want to merge only a few files for another developer to get that partial feature. I find I have to cherry pick then revert the unwanted files which is a pain as it can't be done from the diff screen.

It's called "Cherry pick" due to you can extract changes from a given changeset, branch or changeset interval, but they must be complete. If you cherry pick a changeset you must accept all the changes from that changeset, you have to accept all the changes since right now partial merges are not allowed.

Archived