Cannot install server on Windows 7

wayne62682

I just downloaded the Community edition to evaluate for my team of 5. I can install the server but the Windows service cannot be started. Trying to run gets the following errors:

Install: Plastic SCM service couldn't be started. Please, review the event query or server log file (loader.log.txt on server installation dir) in order to get more information about the error or email Codice Software at support@codicesoftware.com

Trying to start service: The Plastic Server 4 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

Event Viewer:

Service cannot be started. System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Remoting configuration failed with the exception 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Mono.Security.X509.Extensions.SubjectAltNameExtension..ctor(System.String[], System.String[], System.String[], System.String[])'.

at Codice.Channels.SelfSignedCertificate.GeneratePkcs12Certificate(String fileName, String hostName, DateTime validFrom, DateTime validTill, String plainTextPassword, String[] alternativeHostNames, String[] alternativeIpAddresses)

at Codice.Channels.SelfSignedCertificate.GenerateHostCertificateIfNeeded()

at Codice.Channels.PlasticTcpServerChannel.ProcessPfxCertificate(String certFileName)

at Codice.Channels.PlasticTcpServerChannel..ctor(IDictionary properties, IServerChannelSinkProvider serverSinkProvider, Boolean bUseSSL)

at Codice.Channels.PlasticSecuredTcpChannel.CreateServerChannel(IDictionary properties...

I've made sure I can run as administrator, I've tried restarting the computer, and nothing.

It seems that there's some problem with the SSL connection, let me check it.

For now please disable it by using, for example this "remote.conf" file, you will find it inside the Plastic SCM server directory.

<configuration>

<system.runtime.remoting>

<application>

<channels>

<channel type="Codice.Channels.PlasticTcpChannel,plastictcpchannel" port="8087" name="normal">

<serverProviders>

<formatter type="Codice.Channels.PlasticBinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider, plastictcpchannel" typeFilterLevel="Full" Compression="sinklevel" SerializationObjectsAtSink="true" BufferPoolMax="10"/>

<provider type="Codice.CM.Server.ExceptionTracerSinkProvider, servercommon" />

</serverProviders>

<clientProviders>

<provider type="Codice.Channels.ClientSinkProvider, plastictcpchannel" />

<formatter ref="binary" />

</clientProviders>

</channel>

</channels>

</application>

</system.runtime.remoting>

</configuration>

Hello wayne,

can you please tell me and check if you have any Mono framework installation in your machine? It seems that it's loading the wrong dll.

No Mono at all, just .NET 3.5 and 4.0 (we just upgraded from VS2008 to VS2010 a couple of weeks ago)

Ummmm can you find in your hard drive all the files called "Mono.Security.dll"?

Tell me how many of them is able to find windows, search also in not indexed directories, or simple use the command line.

It really looks like there's a wrong Mono.Security assembly being loaded, which is weird since the right one is provided with the installation.

As manu pointed: remove the SSL part from the remoting.conf.

Alternatively, there's a "trick" (actually a procedure) to double check server problems.

- Stop the service

- Go to your server's install directory in the command line

- type: plasticd.exe --console

It will start the server in command line mode and normally it is very easy to diagnose what is going on.

Archived