"Illegal characters in path" after upgrading from 3 to 4

tino333

I recently updated from version 3 to version 4.

Now, every time I update my workspace, a dialog box is shown containing two files with Problem = "Illegal characters in path."

Apparently those file names were acceptable to version 3 but not to version 4. How can I remove those files from my database?

Here's my db.conf in case it matters:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<DbConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<ProviderName>firebird</ProviderName>

<ConnectionString>ServerType=1;User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;Database={0};Pooling=true;connection lifetime=60;Charset=UNICODE_FSS;</ConnectionString>

<DatabaseSuffix />

<DatabasePrefix />

<DatabasePath>d:\Programming\plasticSCM4</DatabasePath>

</DbConfig>

Hi Tino,

Initially it shouldn't be related to db.conf, but it could definitely be.

Let's see:

1 - If all files were downloaded except the two missing ones, does a "pending changes view" show the missing ones as deleted on disk? Please check. If so, you could delete them and add them afterwards.

2 - Do you know which ones are the files by chance? If so, can you find them in the fast-exported file you created to move from 3.0 to 4.0? Is the name correct there?

Thanks,

pablo

Hi,

The file names are "änderg.txt" and "jülich.ini".

1. All files are in my current workspace except for the two missing files.

The "pending changes view" does not show the files.

The "Items in workspace" view does not show the files.

In the "Items in workspace" view, I select the root item and select Update. This dialog box is displayed:

| Update operation report

|

| Update results

| This report shows possible problems found during the update operation

|___________________________________________________________

| Some items were not correctly updated. You may want to check the errors and retry the operation after solving the problems.

|

| Path | Problem | Severity | TimeStamp

| <path>\?nderg.txt | Illegal characters in path. | Error | <date and time when the update was attempted>

| <path>\j?lich.ini | Illegal characters in path. | Error | <date and time when the update was attempted>

|

|

| [] Select all

[ Retry update] [update forced] [Close]

2. My fast-export.dat file contains these two lines pertaining to those two files:

M 100644 :136 <project-directory>/?nderg.txt

M 100644 :58 <project-directory>/j?lich.ini

I didn't expect the fast-export file to be a readable text file.

So it looks like I could make a backup of my database, fast-export, edit the fast-export file to change the '?'s to another character, and then fast-import. I'll probably do that.

Hi tino333,

we are just fixing things about the fast-export encoding, you are coming from V3 right?

Can you make a fast-export package with the --nodata option and send it to us? we will fix your scenario.

* the --nodata package doesn't contain personal information or source code, only SCM metadata.

Archived