Performance of Pending Changes in a very large workspace

CodingGorilla

Nope, those both return in just a second or so. I can see, using Process Monitor, that plastic.exe is grinding through all the files (almost acting like it's comparing them) and also a lot of temp files too, so I'm not sure what it's doing. I can provide the traces from Process Monitor if that would be helpful.

I had a problem like this one you're saying but with a lot less files.

But it was happening randomly.

After some builds this seems to be solved.

I was thinking that could be my work machine that was slow since it was not happening at home (where my machine is MUCH MUCH MUCH more powerful).

Let's wait for our savior Manu! :)

sorry for my late answer,

let's see I need you to do the following:

1) Post a screenshot of you pending changes view options panel, I want to review your enabled search options.

2) If you have the "Show manually renames/mode items" option enabled, disable it and refresh the view, tell me if it's faster.

I'm not sure, can you tell me if they were checked-out items or only "changed"?

Do you have the option "Compare file contest instead of time stamps when determining changed status" enable at the Plastic SCM preferences wizard?

Thanks for the info CodingGorilla, I'll try to reproduce the issue in my computer with a huge number of changed files.

If it happens again to you don't hesitate in contact us, I'll get connected with you to debug the issue.

Hi there,

We test with larger workspaces, about 400k files. In fact we have customers using wks this size on a daily basis.

My personal workspace is about 30k files and once the disk is warmed up, it takes two seconds to find changes.

We've to figure out what is slowing you down!

Hi!

We had similar performance problems with pending changes in a workspace with about 8000 files, where ~2000 files were changed. Sometimes it took about 30 seconds to update.

In our case it seems that our virus scanner (Symantec Endpoint Protection) was slowing it down. Excluding our workspaces and also the temp-folder from Realtime Protection does the trick. Now we have refresh times of 1-2 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

We have similar issue with large number of private items (maybe tens of thousands). Unchecking the "Show private items" in the client made a huge difference in performance. No more waiting for 20 or more minutes -> the updates now take a couple of seconds. Unfortunately this option can't be used with the Visual Studio integration and basically we are now doing check-ins outside VS.NET. It's not very convenient, but at least, we can check-in quickly :)

Performing network tests with server: 10.10.10.144:8087. Please wait...

Upload speed = 328 Mbps. Time uploading 16MB = 390ms. Server: 10.10.10.144:8087

Download speed = 680 Mbps. Time downloading 16MB = 187ms. Server: 10.10.10.144:8087

Performing disk speed test on path: C:\Users\imitev\AppData\Local\Temp\PlasticSCM_IOStats. Please wait...

Disk write speed = 103 MB/s. Time writing 512MB = 4960 ms.

Disk read speed = 1822 MB/s. Time reading 512MB = 281 ms.

Yes, the main workspace I work on is on C:\. The performance lag is not just on my machine, but on all developers'. We have similar machines, which are not bad (Windows 7 rates mine: 5.9 hard drive and 7.6 for processor and memory). I have only MSFT Security Essentials as anivirus and turning it off doesn't seem to improve the speed.

Just to note that Pending Checkins loading hasn't always been terribly slow in VS.NET. It seems that if we haven't displayed"Show pending changes" for a while, it suddenly can get very slow. Once the pending changes have been loaded, if we try again, the results shows up just for up 1-5 seconds. Not sure if this depends on other circumstances, but it seems that neither modifying or adding items locally, nor changes in the repository by other devs affect this. Since we didn't succeed to find a reliable pattern why this happens, we just decided to stick with the PlasticSCM client (with turned off option for private files).

I've turned on the logging via C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\client\plastic.log.conf and can send you some results (strangely, the log file, specified in a RollingLogFileAppender I've setup, doesn't get always updated immediately after doing an action), Does the "Update time" lines reflect the speed? If you search in files for "Update time" (e.g. with Notepad++ is pretty nice), you'll see that it varies a lot.

I'm almost sure that the thing is related with the IO performance since the second time you refresh the view takes 1-5 seconds and the Plastic GUI doesn't cache anything :S

Do you think it's possible to schedule a gotomeeting session in order to perform some tests?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've found some time today to conduct some additional tests in the PlasticSCM client (outside VS.NET). It confirmed that "Show private items" affects the speed significantly (at least on my machine). When it's turned off, the pending changes come up almost instantly. But when it's on, it takes about 6-7 minutes to show the pending changes (+ 32500 private items). Strangely, on previous attempts last week, it seemed that after each turning it off-and-on the pending changes were shown faster, as if some caching was done, but today for 5 times in a row it was in the range of 6-7 minutes.

I am not ruling out a possibility of some disk issue, though I can't explain how it could spread to all computers of my colleagues, but who knows... Could you point to some disk benchmarking tools or send some instructions for further experiments (not sure when a gotomeeting can be scheduled)...

Ok,

let's try the following, download and extract the batch file: timecmd.zip

And then issue the following command in the root directory of your workspace:

x:\PlasticSCMWorkspace>timecmd dir /S > test.txt

Then review the last line of the "test.txt" file and tell us how long does the command takes. Repeat the command another time and tell us the new time, and then refresh the pending changes view.

One question, how many private items are you having in the workspace?

Archived