Merge to parent

Soho

When using branch-per-task development I found that I repeat the same pattern over and over when merging a completed task-branch to /main (or parent).

It would be very convenient for me to have a button and keyboard shortcut that ran this pattern:

1. Switch to parent branch.

2. Merge changes from previous branch.

3. Enter some standard checkin comment based on task name (e.g. "Merged <child branch name> to <parent branch name>".

4. Checkin all items.

I also miss the ability to create new branches based on the selection of a ticket in the issue tracker:

1. Press the "Create new branch from ticket" button or shortcut.

2. Select a ticket from a list of new tickets assigned to me.

3. Plastic now creates a new branch with the name taken from ticket id and comment from ticket title. Plastic also switches to the new branch.

In 9/10 cases this would allow me to complete a task and start a new one with two keystrokes, minimizing the attention required by Plastic and maximizing the focus on the tasks at hand.

Hi SoHo!

When using branch-per-task development I found that I repeat the same pattern over and over when merging a completed task-branch to /main (or parent).

It would be very convenient for me to have a button and keyboard shortcut that ran this pattern:

3. Enter some standard checkin comment based on task name (e.g. "Merged <child branch name> to <parent branch name>".

4. Checkin all items.

I also miss the ability to create new branches based on the selection of a ticket in the issue tracker:

3. Plastic now creates a new branch with the name taken from ticket id and comment from ticket title. Plastic also switches to the new branch.

In 9/10 cases this would allow me to complete a task and start a new one with two keystrokes, minimizing the attention required by Plastic and maximizing the focus on the tasks at hand.

I often think about this too.

It's a great idea!!!

Hi,

4. Checkin all items.

+1

just one question about your merges operations Soho, are they usually "both contributors change" types or are they straight forward?

In most projects we have a /main that serves as the merge line for most task-branches. We consider it bad style to commit non-merge changes to /main unless they are trivial. Of course, when merging to /main, /main often has changes from merges from other branches, but we almost always use trivial default merging.

Obviously, if a merge conflict occurs that requires manual resolution, then the automation should stop at that point.

Archived