Plastic with Delphi 6

cidico

Hello my fellow plastic friends... :)

Starting today, I'm going to work with Borland Delphi 6 in a project (for at least 6 months....) and I want to know if anyone here knows what are the files to be ignored (I really don't remember) like .suo, bin folder and etc...

Can Plastic work just fine with Delphi 6 files?

Thanks! :(

PS: I don't have choice... look in my topic tags :P

hehehe sorry about that! :P

Yes, plastic can handle your Delphi files without problems.

You can even give a try to the Epocalipse SourceConneXion provider in order to get our SCC plugin working. I'm not sure if it's going to work since the project it's a little bit discontinued. http://www.epocalipse.com/scx.htm

Of course, you can use the pending changes view as your transparent SCM -> http://plasticscm.co...parent-scm.aspx

It will work for all your refactors.

Hi Manu & Cidico,

FYI I have already installed the trial version it under Delphi7 and it just works. I will probably buy a licence to get rid of VSS all together. The support is still good.

I used VxxConnexion for quite a while. It has some quirks since the last VSS update, and it picked up the settings nicely (like the combined checkout of file combinations needed for Delphi (*.pas always together with *.dfm and the *.dpk or *.dpr with everything starting with the same name). This checkout behavior is very important for Delphi.

Delphi6 has no suo files (thats Visual Studio). Basically you ignore the files like *.dsk, *.cfg, *.drc, *.dof, *.res, *.map (so the derivates from project/package *.dpk/*.dpr) as Delphi needs them writeable when saving the project file just before checkin. The new writable.conf file might also let you check them in but keep them writeable. Simply said if a dsk file is read-only Delphi won't save the project file.

One reason to check them in anyway (but keep them readable) is that they contain some info on library paths, ide window layout etc and loosing them still means work.

You can normaly ignore all output like the *.bpl and *.dcu files, it's only the exe/dll file that you compile that is the actual output.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I found a problem using Plastic with Delphi 6 (and maybe 7 too).

If I need to perform a merge between 2 .DFM files, it become pretty much impossible to do it.

The file is text file but inside Plastic, it looks a lot like a binery.

Do you have any idea how canI handle the merge of DFM files?!

Take a look in the print how the DFM files looks like when merging:post-188-0-08344700-1350672415_thumb.png

Very strange..

Humm... It seems that merge tool is ok.

The problem isn't in Plastic.

Delphi seems to randomly changes the text files to binary and f*ck everything.

A lot of people said that this problem occurs with them too.

Sorry to bother! :)

Hi Manu,

The problem is a little deeper than I thought...

It's a known issue in Delphi.

It randmonly converts the file to binary format without asking you inside the IDE.

You open the file and start to work and Delphi converts the file without even telling you that the change was made.

The file itself is "Text" inside Plastic, but the content becomes impossible to perform merge after Delphi convert the text file to binary.

Deep in the darkness of Delphi's installation folder there a tool that creates/solves the problem, it's called convert.exe.

Ah!

When I was performing the merge between the file in binary format and text (previous revision vs current) an error was thrown: post-188-0-81650000-1350916877_thumb.jpg

Never seen this message before!

The merge of those 130 files took about 20 minutes to complete.

Yeah, I had the same reaction about that.

The funny part is that Delphi never tells you a thing.

You will notice only when you need to merge some changes or doing a diff before the checkin... The file itself still a text file, but it's content is a binary. :(

Well, the error it happened just today.

As I said, the merge operation of 126 files took about 20 min, because the file had a binary content.

In the current merge to be exac, took about 8 min, I guess, then this message was displayed.

The rest of merges were done normally and then the file in the error was shown again to have it's merge processed.

The merge again took less than 15 seconds.

If I have this error again, I'll dig deeper to it.

But seems that in this case of diff's or merge between the same file, but the content of previous revision been binary and the current been text, the merge and diff take too much to resolve.

Hey, hey! Don't mess with Delphi 6! :)

It is still my all times favorite IDE... including the language.

If I recall correctly, in Delphi you had the option to save .DFM in text format. Old Delphi 1 (yes, I'm old!) stored everything in binaries, but then in 2 they introduced the ability to save everything in text mode. New forms were all text, old ones binaries. Maybe you're merging with a very old change, where the .DFM is still binary. Can you check?

As far as I remember, good-ol Delphi didn't go back to binary once you set it as text but...

Now, my recommended way of working wouldn't be using SourceConneXion but using the "transparent scm" plastic scm capabilities. Just "find changes" and shoot. Easy, uh? :)

About the files to ignore: at least the following two *.dcu, *.~*

Hope it helps!

pablo

Hi Pablo!

If I recall correctly, in Delphi you had the option to save .DFM in text format. Old Delphi 1 (yes, I'm old!) stored everything in binaries, but then in 2 they introduced the ability to save everything in text mode. New forms were all text, old ones binaries. Maybe you're merging with a very old change, where the .DFM is still binary. Can you check?

Yeah, I know, and I already choose that option. :)

Right-clicking in the form you can do the conversion "Text DFM".

What I've found looking for a solution is people who reported this very strange "feature" and people who reported that never had any issue doing their merges...

By decision of the Supreme Murphy: "Everything that could happen to make me suffer, will happen."

Right now, I'm working very happy and singing to birds and etc. But I need to stay vigilant! To never commit a file converted again to binary. As I said, it is very random.

Using the convert.exe file resolved my problems doing merges! :)

I'm not using the "SourceConneXion" yet, but the transparent scm is working just fine!

Thanks for you attention! :)

Archived