How to go about an evaluation of PlasticSCM when current tool is SVN?

neilx

Hi

I am convinced that I want to evaluate PlasticSCM from reading about it here and elsewhere.

We - a 6 person development team - currently have a well established Subversion system in place and I wonder what tips I can get on a good way to evaluate PlasticSCM on my own without affecting my colleagues.

For example, could I set up for my own use the ability to use PlasticSCM on the trunk of an svn project, experiment with all the features while doing real work, then commit the final trunk back to svn? How would I best go about doing this?

TIA

Neil

Hi Neal,

well, the new Plastic SCM 4.2 release (beta) can talk with git, so, you can keep a Plastic SCM and a git repository synchronized. But SVN is a step behind Git and Plastic and the mechanism is not available for SVN.

I don't know if it's too much work for you, first sync with Git and then to Plastic...

You can also try the fast-export fast-import system using marks to achieve incremental imports. All the procedures I can think of relies in a middle Git step.

• 10 months later...

Hola. I am ready to give this a try now (a year goes quickly!)

I have got a git repo by cloning from svn using git svn and it all seems to work just fine with the git command line or TortoiseGit.

So now I want to see how to use PlasticSCM as a front end to this git repo so I can avoid all the nasty git stuff and see a nice sensible ui inside Visual Studio.

How do I set that up? PlasticSCM and the git repo are currently installed on the same virtual machine for testing, I guess I need to know how to get PlasticSCM to use the git repo instead of its own.

My longer term objective would be to move our team completely to PlasticSCM away from SVN and avoid git altogether, but this route via git seems to be a way for me to try Plastic out without stopping work or affecting my colleagues.

Hi,

If you have your SVN imported to git, you have two options:

1. Generate a "git fast-export" package and import this package to Plastic. This way, you will have your repository in Plastic SCM. This option is interesting if you decide to switch from Git to Plastic.

You can use below commands:

git fast-export --all -C --tag-of-filtered-object=drop --signed-tags > repo.fe

cm fi PlasticRepoName@server:port repo.fe

2. Use GitSync: In this blog post, we explain how to use it. It´s interesting to watch the sample video:

http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2013/03/gitsync-is-out-native-windows-dvcs.html

This option is interesting, if you need to synchronize Plastic and Git repositories (eg. some developers are using Git and others are using Plastic)

Regards,

Carlos

I need option 2. All I am doing is seeing if I like PlasticSCM. But I also have work to do:-) That means I want to carry on working as normal but use Plast inside VS to see how it responds. I don't mind the additional step of dcommit to svn on one or two projects for a while.

I'll follow your instructions and see how it goes. Thanks.

Don't know what happened to my previous post. I'll write It again:

How do I connect Plastic to my git repo? I don't see a repo add, just create.

Note: The git daemon is running and shows:

git.exe daemon --verbose --export-all --base-path="C:\Work_Git\Contrib"

[364] Ready to rumble

Hi,

I´m almost sure "receive-pack" option is needed to allow pulling changes. I´ve tested with this command:

git daemon --export-all --base-path=. --reuseaddr --enable=receive-pack

This way, you create a git server daemon. Then, you need to create a new clean Plastic repository and a new Plastic Workspace. After that, if you go the Branch explorer and right-click on the only branch --> Replication --> Sync with Git , and enter your Git server address:

eg:

git://localhost/YourRepoName

Another possibility is to create a private git repository on GitHub or Bitbucket and import from there to Plastic.

PD: GitSync is only available using Plastic 5 (labs section)

Regards,

Carlos

Archived