Updated list of feature requests

Martin Suchan

We've been using Plastic on one project for half a year about one year ago, now we starter using it on another project. I was hoping that bugs I've reported here will be fixed, unfortunately most of them are still present in current version, so here they are:

• Cannot update workspace if there are pending changes (this works in TortoiseSVN)
  • Cannot revert or update changed files added through readonly xlink. We should not be able to commit these changes, but we should be at least able to revert them. Also these files should be automatically excluded on the Pending changes page with disabled unchecked checkbox, so we can commit changes to regular files without guessing what's wrong.
  • Cannot revert one or selected files using context menu (here on UserVoice, this works in TortoiseSVN)
  • Cannot revert nonversioned files using Revert changes command in Pending changes tab (this works in TortoiseSVN)
  • Files without changes are shown in the Pending changes dialog. I know there is Revert unchanged files button, but these files should not be there in a first place (this works in TortoiseSVN)
  • Cannot edit/revert partial or all changes in default diff view (here on UserVoice, this works on TortoiseSVN), can be partially solved by using external diff tool
  • Cannot open diff for multiple files at once - if I want to review multiple files in diff view, I have to open them one by one (this works in TortoiseSVN)
  • Cannot use some basic edit operations in Commit description box like: Ctrl+A for selecting the whole text, Ctrl+BackSpace for deleting word by word bakcward and Ctrl+Del for deleting word by word forward. (here on UserVoice, this works on TortoiseSVN)

These are just first problems I've encountered when preparing my first commit in our new project that makes my usage of PlasticSCM quite frustrating. I hope they will be fixed quite soon, thanks.

Hello Martin,

• Cannot update workspace if there are pending changes (this works in TortoiseSVN)

If you have a changed and checked-out item you CAN'T switch the workspace to another branch.

If you have a changed and checked-out item you CAN update the workspace.

If you have a changed but NOT checked-out item you CAN update the workspace.

If you have a changed but NOT checked-out item you can define if it's possible to switch to another branch or not.

• Cannot revert or update changed files added through readonly xlink. We should not be able to commit these changes, but we should be at least able to revert them. Also these files should be automatically excluded on the Pending changes page with disabled unchecked checkbox, so we can commit changes to regular files without guessing what's wrong.

We'll fix it.

Ugly workaround: Delete the changed file using the windows explorer and update.

• Cannot revert one or selected files using context menu (here on UserVoice, this works in TortoiseSVN)

Will be scheduled soon, your idea have enough votes :)

• Cannot revert nonversioned files using Revert changes command in Pending changes tab (this works in TortoiseSVN)

¿? I don't understand this one. What to you want to undo with a private file? Delete it? you can...

• Files without changes are shown in the Pending changes dialog. I know there is Revert unchanged files button, but these files should not be there in a first place (this works in TortoiseSVN)

If the files are shown as changed it's because they are changed due to file content or by the file time-stamp, if you don't want to see them you have to options

1) Check which program is leaving this trash files changed only in the time-stamp and fix it.

2) Preferences -> Other options -> "Compare file contents instead of timestamps ...."

• Cannot edit/revert partial or all changes in default diff view (here on UserVoice, this works on TortoiseSVN), can be partially solved by using external diff tool

45 votes :)

I think it's one of the highest ideas, will be scheduled ASAP.

• Cannot open diff for multiple files at once - if I want to review multiple files in diff view, I have to open them one by one (this works in TortoiseSVN)

No, right now it's not possible. You can add the idea into the user voice system.

• Cannot use some basic edit operations in Commit description box like: Ctrl+A for selecting the whole text, Ctrl+BackSpace for deleting word by word bakcward and Ctrl+Del for deleting word by word forward. (here on UserVoice, this works on TortoiseSVN)

No, right now it's not possible. You can add the idea into the user voice system.

As there's only one bug in the list (bullet point #2) I'll rename the threat title from bugs to "feature requests", yours was a little bit threatening :)

Cannot revert nonversioned files using Revert changes command in Pending changes tab (this works in TortoiseSVN)

¿? I don't understand this one. What to you want to undo with a private file? Delete it? you can...

If I'm on the Pending changes tab, there is one branch with changed files and another wit added/nonversioned. I'd like to have the possibility to select some unversioned files and click Undo changes, this will then delete these unversioned files. If I do this now, it tells me "No items are selected"

Yep,

that's because there are no changes to undo for the private/nonversioned items, if you want to get rid of them you can select them (Ctrl + click) + right click -> "Delete"

So it should be pretty easy to implement the expected behavior - removing unversioned files when pressing Undo changes, as it works in other version control systems?

If you have a changed and checked-out item you CAN update the workspace.

So what should I do with this?

R4xFZ.png

So it should be pretty easy to implement the expected behavior - removing unversioned files when pressing Undo changes, as it works in other version control systems?

Yeah, sure it's easy. I only wanted to let you know how it's done in Plastic SCM. Feel free to use the user voice system to include your idea: https://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general

So what should I do with this?

R4xFZ.png

Ummmm, hold on a second, if there aren't new changes in your working branch what do you expect to be updated? If you want to get the changes in the latest changeset (which is the only you are already loading) you need to undo your changes... override/discard your changes (weird)

If you really have new changes to be downloaded, Plastic SCM will download the ones that are not in conflict with your checked out items and for the checked out items will run a merge operation, only if it's needed.

Regards.

Btw: I've noticed that in case of Pending changes is a modal dialog (open through Checkin from context menu of an item), the context menu on items is not available. It is a bug, isn't it?

EDIT: I suspect it is a workaround of the evil modality.

Yes, it's disabled since you only want to:

• Commit
  • Undo
  • Show diff

And all the actions can be made using the buttons, do you miss some context menu option? Maybe we can study the suggestion :)

Aha! Sorry, I always use that view when I'm actually going to commit a single file, so I click in the file, not in the dir, and that's when the private items are not shown.

Please add the idea, I'm sure more users will find it useful. Although I always use the pending changes view (the direct one) when I'm going to undo changes, I don't know, I'm more comfortable with only one mouse click than with "Search the directory containing the private items" -> Right click -> "Checkin" (Actually you don't want to ci, just remove private hehe) -> Select the private and delete.

Talking about private items, you can use the right click -> Search... -> Private items. Then you can remove then and so on.

Ummmm, hold on a second, if there aren't new changes in your working branch what do you expect to be updated? If you want to get the changes in the latest changeset (which is the only you are already loading) you need to undo your changes... override/discard your changes (weird)

If you really have new changes to be downloaded, Plastic SCM will download the ones that are not in conflict with your checked out items and for the checked out items will run a merge operation, only if it's needed.

Regards.

Actually there were updates for my branch, but Plastic was just telling me this. I then changed the Plastic settings to warning from error and it somehow worked since then.

But anyway, this is definitely not the best UX, I just want to update current branch just like I did in TortoiseSVN and not crawl advanced settings, solved strange dialogs, etc.

Actually there were updates for my branch, but Plastic was just telling me this. I then changed the Plastic settings to warning from error and it somehow worked since then.

But anyway, this is definitely not the best UX, I just want to update current branch just like I did in TortoiseSVN and not crawl advanced settings, solved strange dialogs, etc.

It's an easy decision, do you want to "update" with changed files? Yes or No. As simple as that. By default is set to "No" in order to avoid code regresions. The "advance" setting is 2 mouse clicks far from the main window, it's not hidden.

Just found another "feature" I would rather call bug - It's not possible to add dynamic xlink referencing the current version of target branch? So I have to manually update the xlink version every time I made change in the referenced repository?

Surely I don't have to mention that this works in SubVersion as expected - there is radio button to select "target revision" or "latest revision".

IMHO, a missing feature is not called "bug".

Example -> The Win 8 doesn't have a real "Package manager" like Linux does -> BUG Missing feature :)

Xlinks are not svn externals, they are a greater thing, you can have branch expansion, merge tracking... But yes, as you said, there's no "Latest revision" option, here you have an explanation about a similar idea: http://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general/suggestions/2855187-allow-xlinks-to-target-branches-in-addition-to-cha

If you always access the linked repository through the main one you will never need to update the target changeset manually. The merge operation will do all the work for you.

Archived