High memory usage

vehystrix

I noticed that the PlasticSCM client is using 3.3Gb of ram. Also, when starting the client the computer becomes rather unresponsive until the PlasticSCM client is fully started.

Is it normal that the client is using this ungodly amount of ram?

I have tried reducing the number of branches in the branch explorer so that only the last 3 months are displayed, but that didn't help.

I cannot remember PlasticSCM using this much ram before either.

The complete workspace is 220 Mb, and I have ~850 changesets in my repository. I believe that this is still a rather small project so I don't think that's the issue either.

The PlasticSCM service (plasticd.exe) is using 100Mb ram, which is a much more acceptable number.

I am using Win 7 x64, i7-2720QM, 8Gb RAM

With PlasticSCM using over 40% of my memory, My average RAM usage is now hovering at 85%, leaving little room for peaks.

EDIT:

When viewing the 2D revision tree of a file in my workspace, the RAM usage jumped up to >6Gb, this can't be normal, right?

It seems I was able to fix the issue by uninstalling and re-installing. Removing all my workspaces, re-creating them, and setting them to the correct repositories again.

My best guess, something was wrong in one of the workspace definitions, or the version I was using suddenly decided to start leaking (granted it wasn't the latest version but you guys do release way more then I am able to update, besides it worked fine until yesterday)

I couldn't find anything about fixed memory leaks in your changelogs, so it may have been an undocumented fix somewhere between I think I had v374 and now the latest one (v382)

If the leak shows up again, I'll inform you, but for now it seems I can't reproduce it (thank god, at some point I started running out of pagefile space as well, making my computer come to a grinding halt. I had to stop using the branch explorer to keep the memory usage to a manageable level)

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I currently use PlasticSCM client 5.0.44.586. Its startup takes about 30 seconds even if only one workspace tab is open. In the task manager I can see that it consumes almost 200MB of RAM, which is not so much compared to what vehystrix reported earlier, but still a lot compared to other running applications. It also creates about 1200 handles just at startup.

The problem is that the client often fails to work properly. I happen to see errors like "Error creating window handle" when trying to open a context menu of a branch or to open a branch creation window. In those cases a restart was usually helpful until yesterday. I tried to restart PlasticSCM client several times, but each time it started it, it displayed me the "Error creating window handle" message causing the GUI to be unusable. Only the fourth or fifth attempt to start it was eventually successful. The error didn't occur since then, but it's been only one day now. 

Please investigate that issue. It becomes serious. What if one day the client won't start at all or won't let us work because of these errors?

Thanks!

I was looking for a way to speed up the startup time of PlasticSCM client, so I went to [...]\AppData\Local\plastic4 and started manipulating some files that seemed to have someting to do with client settings, the GUI state etc. I noticed that when I deleted the guivisualstate.xml file (whose size was 119KiB), the client was able to start fully within 5 seconds instead of the 30 seconds I mentioned in my previous post. What's more, the plastic.exe process does no longer consume 200MB of RAM and 1200 handles after startup, but only about 20MB and less than 500 handles.

If I have any further observations concerning its behaviour, I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been two weeks since I deleted the guivisualstate.xml file, and it seems that I have to delete it again. PlasticSCM client is starting for almost 20 seconds now, the memory consumption is over 100MiB and there are 899 created handles. The size of the above mentioned xml file is 66KiB.

Could you please take care of that issue in the future?

• 5 months later...

Archived