Visual Studio 2013

CodingGorilla

Well, so far I've been able to get the plugin mostly working in VS2013 preview.  You can't use the method we used for VS2012 because you have switched to installing plastic into Visual Studio as a vsix extension, but I can provide anyone the steps I used to make it work in 2013 if they're interested.  I can create a new project and add it to a repository, but I wasn't able to load an existing project that had the plastic bindings already applied.  The project is a little old and so the bindings are probably from an earlier version of 4.0, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I'm going to try to remove the bindings and re-apply them later.

OK, the old source control bindings on the project were for "SAK", so maybe it was never under plastic before - I thought it was but it's been a while since I worked on this project.  It appears to be working normally now, although I haven't done any actual project changes or checked anything in or anything more than just pull up the project and see that I can open the tool windows and such.

So here's what I did to get the extension running in VS2013 Preview:

1. Make sure the extension is installed for VS2012
  2. Open: C:\Users\[your_user_name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Extensions
  3. Find the Plastic SCM extension folder
    1. Mine was called '5mln4jfw.whi', I'm not sure if this is always the same or not but you can identify the proper folder by looking inside, there is an App.ico that is the plastic scm logo.
  4. Copy this folder (in my case '5mln4jfw.whi') to: C:\Users\[your_user_name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Extensions
  5. From the 12.0\Extensions\[extension_folder], open the file 'extension.vsixmanifest' in notepad or other text editor
  6. In this XML file, find the <SupportedProducts> element and add the following:

<VisualStudio Version="12.0">
              <Edition>Pro</Edition>
</VisualStudio>

1. Save your changes to this file
  2. Open RegEdit and navigate to: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ExtensionManager\EnabledExtensions
  3. Locate the Plastic SCM extension, you can identify the extension by looking for the extension folder name (in my case '5mln4jfw.whi') in the Data portion of the values
  4. Copy the entire value (and it's associated data) to: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\ExtensionManager\EnabledExtensions, be sure to modify the path (which is in the data) portion to use the 12.0 path, not the 11.0 path.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything, but let me know if you have any questions.

• 1 month later...

Just to update (anyone who's also using VS2013):

If you update the version of Plastic that you are using you will start getting errors that the client version no longer matches.  I just repeated steps 3 & 4, except that the extension folder for plastic in VS2012 will have a different name (because the plastic installer uninstalls and reinstalls the extension each time).  I didn't change the folder name for VS2013, I just copied the files from the new VS2012 folder to the same extension folder that I had previously used for VS2013.

BTW, I've upgraded to VS2013 RC now and so far so good.

• 1 month later...

Archived