Moving to new SQL Server

ccolvin

I am currently attempting to migrate my plastic server to a new machine with a new SQL server. After migrating all the MSSQL databases and configuring the server I get the following error when attempting to create a new workspace:

There was a problem in OpenConnection. Cannot open database "workspaces" requested by the login. The login failed.

There was no "workspaces" database in the old SQL Server. Am I missing something?

Below is the full stack trace:

2013-08-30 07:40:16,684 2796 Cliff.colvin 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 TYLPLASLBK2  ERROR DataConnection - There was a problem in OpenConnection. Cannot open database "workspaces" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'incode'. [workspaces]
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at y.b(CmConnection A_0)
   at y.d(CmConnection A_0, bc A_1)

We are actually in the process, but we have a long road ahead of us including getting a plastic 3 server migrated for testing purposes. The plastic 3 to plastic 4 migration has errors in it causing branches to be lost and we need to be able use this test server so that we can find out how that impacts us before we can proceed. There is also more in depth with another team coming into plastic away from Visual Source Safe, and moving away from the community edition of Plastic because of number of users etc, but all of those plans hinge on being able to get another server running so that the team in place isn't affected by our migration tests.

Manu,

Is there any way that you can help me to solve our current dilemma? The end goal is for us to get onto Plastic SCM 4 as I mentioned, but to get there I need to move to this new server so that we can test the instance separately without affecting our day to day use.

Please let me know what I can do.

Hi!

Ok, if you want to migrate to Plastic SCM 4 you need to setup a clean Plastic SCM 4 installation with the desired database backend.

Then you will need to use the "cm fast-export" command in order to migrate the history into a "fast-export" file and finally import the file into Plastic SCM 4. Check this blog post entry to get more details: http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2012/01/plastic-scm-30-to-40-migration-notes.html

If you are going to use the SQLServer double check that the user defined at the "db.conf" file to connect with the database is having the right permissions. We usually recommend to use "root" and when everything is working fine switch to another one.

Sir, I mentioned before that I cannot move to plastic 4 until I have this test server setup which means I have to solve this error before continuing. Is there any way you can help me with the question that I asked about instead of trying to get me to prematurely migrate my server to the newest version of the software.

Hi,

checking your log information, It seems that there is a login issue -->  

Cannot open database "workspaces" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'incode'. [workspaces]

-          Can you review if you can log in using SQL Management Studio and using the same user and password you have specified in your "db.conf" file (server folder)

-          Review if you granted all the privileges for ‘incode’ user: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3998634/sql-server-2008-how-do-i-grant-privileges-to-a-username

-          You can also try editing “db.conf” to login as ‘sa’ user.

-          Review if you have enabled remoted connections and no firewall issues:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/walzenbach/archive/2010/04/14/how-to-enable-remote-connections-in-sql-server-2008.aspx

Best regards,

Carlos

Archived