Plasticsd doesn't start "plasticd5.exe.lock lock file exists but process is not running"

I'm trying to start my Plastic Server. 

When I start it by typing "sudo plasticsd start", I get the message:

Starting the Plastic SCM server:                                     OK

But there is no running instance and if I type "sudo plasticsd status", I get the message:

Warning: /tmp/plasticd5.exe.lock lock file exists but process is not running.
The Plastic SCM server is NOT started

I already tried the solution from this post, but that wasn't the problem. Can anybody help?

Thank you for the log files.

We can see the failure, your server is using the old "remoting.conf" configuration, the Plastic SCM server is trying to upgrade it but it fails trying to read the tmp file with the new config... Not sure why the file is not created... It's supposed to be executed with "sudo" so it should be perfectly able to write it.

Do you have a process cleaning the tmp path? Just wondering... :S

Let's try to workaround it, please edit your Plastic SCM server "remoting.conf" file (/opt/plasticscm5/server/remoting.conf) and write the following content into it:

<configuration>
    <system.runtime.remoting>
        <application>
            <channels>
                <channel type="PlasticPipe.Remoting.Tcp.PlasticTcpChannel,plasticpipe" port="8087" name="normal">
                    <serverProviders>
                        <formatter type="PlasticPipe.Remoting.PlasticBinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider, plasticpipe" typeFilterLevel="Full" Compression="sinklevel" SerializationObjectsAtSink="true" BufferPoolMax="10"/>
                        <provider type="Codice.CM.Server.ExceptionTracerSinkProvider, servercommon" />
                    </serverProviders>
                    <clientProviders>
                        <provider type="PlasticPipe.Remoting.ClientSinkProvider, plasticpipe" />
                        <formatter ref="binary" />
                    </clientProviders>
                </channel>

<channel type="PlasticPipe.Remoting.Tcp.Ssl.PlasticSecuredTcpChannel, plasticpipe" port="22" sslPfxFile="ssl-certificate.pfx" sslPfxFilePassword="|SoC|2ogBDa8GmifTjC7UKp4KuoF0/jWYlXy2" name="secured">
                    <serverProviders>
                        <formatter type="PlasticPipe.Remoting.PlasticBinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider, plasticpipe" typeFilterLevel="Full" Compression="sinklevel" SerializationObjectsAtSink="true" BufferPoolMax="10"/>
                        <provider type="Codice.CM.Server.ExceptionTracerSinkProvider, servercommon" />
                    </serverProviders>
                    <clientProviders>
                        <provider type="PlasticPipe.Remoting.ClientSinkProvider, plasticpipe" />
                        <formatter ref="binary" />
                    </clientProviders>
                </channel>
            </channels>
        </application>
    </system.runtime.remoting>
</configuration>

Then save it and restart the Plastic SCM server.

Tell me if it helps!

Thanks for your answer!

I copied the text into my remoting.conf but I'm not sure if I made a mistake and can't see it, but now I have another "Access denied" error on the remoting.conf

The only good news is, that there is now a tmp file in the tmp folder...

remoting_conf_configuration.JPG.3c33f10d5803a52b7fbaa33ec0e69838.JPG

plastic.errors.log.txt:

FATAL Daemon - Configuration file '/opt/plasticscm5/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: Access denied

plastic.debug.log.txt:

DEBUG Daemon - Configuration file '/opt/plasticscm5/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: Access denied
  at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfiguration.ReadConfigFile (System.String filename) [0x00050] in <8f2c484307284b51944a1a13a14c0266>:0
  at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfiguration.Configure (System.String filename, System.Boolean ensureSecurity) [0x00030] in <8f2c484307284b51944a1a13a14c0266>:0
  at Codice.CM.Server.RemotingControl.b (System.String A_0) [0x00005] in <c8a692d3ec7c4fc18239b3b98f808d7e>:0
  at Codice.CM.Server.RemotingControl.c () [0x0004e] in <c8a692d3ec7c4fc18239b3b98f808d7e>:0
  at Codice.CM.Server.RemotingControl.InitRemotingForRemotingServer (System.Boolean bTubeLicensed) [0x00000] in <c8a692d3ec7c4fc18239b3b98f808d7e>:0
  at Codice.CM.Server.SystemRunner.Init (System.Boolean bInitInSeparateThread) [0x00116] in <c8a692d3ec7c4fc18239b3b98f808d7e>:0
  at Codice.CM.Daemon.Daemon.LaunchUnixDaemon (Codice.CM.Server.ISystemRunner runner, System.String lockFile) [0x00006] in <f6cbcc9c7350486ea7ca4f2cf7467afa>:0
2017-04-28 15:54:35,531 Main-1    FATAL Daemon - Configuration file '/opt/plasticscm5/server/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: Access denied

As you can see above the remoting.conf granted already read and write access for every user. 

In the plasticsd file I can see that it runs the plasticd process with the user plasticscm. This user is owner of the remoting.conf file.

I don't know what else I can do...

Let's try the following.

1) Stop the Plastic SCM server daemon: sudo /etc/init.d/plasticsd stop

2) Move the "remoting.conf" to a different location, the Desktop for example.

3) Run "sudo plasticd --console --remotingfile="/path/to/remoting.conf"

4) Can you see something like this?: 

Creating ServerSink
Creating ServerSink
Plastic SCM daemon up. 6.0.16.1055 648 ms startup time

5) From a different terminal can you execute a "cm lrep" command? Does it work?

Thank you for your answer, but it's still not working.

I stoped the (not running) server and got this message after running 3)

Creating ServerSink
Creating ServerSink
Configuration file '/home/ubuntu/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: Address already in use

And this one after 5)

Plastic SCM client is not correctly configured for the current user: Client config file /home/ubuntu/.plastic4/client.conf not found. Please execute 'clconfigureclient' to perform a text mode configuration or 'gtkplastic --configure' for graphical mode.

I don't understand why this message refers to a Plastic SCM client and not the server.

Thank you for the tests.

16 hours ago, marylein said:

Configuration file '/home/ubuntu/remoting.conf' could not be loaded: Address already in use

The "Address already in use" error message is shown when the default Plastic SCM server port is already in use.

Check with the "sudo lsof -i -P -n " command if the port is already in use and the process keeping it open.

You will see something like this if it's used:

plasticd5 2806   root   20u  IPv4  25114      0t0  TCP *:8087 (LISTEN)
plasticd5 2806   root   21u  IPv4  25118      0t0  TCP *:8088 (LISTEN)

If another application is using the 8087 or the 8088 port edit the "remoting.conf" file and change it to use another one.

Archived