Files with new modified date but same content show up as changed items

Johan Ung

Hi,

super strange thing going on. I have a script that copies a bunch of files to a target directory that is under version control. Most of the time the files doesn't change so I don't want them to show up as changed items when the Modified date in Windows changes (which it does).

I have enabled the "Compare file contents instead of ..." option under Other options in GUI but I still see _some_ of my files under pending changes. Tried reinstalling (when updating to latest PlasticSCM version). File content really is identical (sam EOL etc.). Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Johan

Yep that also give the same hash:

$ ~/Downloads/GetFileHashCode/GetFileHashCode.exe BloomExtract.hlsl
Hash: f/Vy1s55I6c1BuoWOO4GZw==

johan.ung@TENSTAR-PC8 MINGW64 /d/wkspaces/devroot/V3/DOZ01/Data/Shaders
$ cm unco --all BloomExtract.hlsl
d:\wkspaces\devroot\V3\DOZ01\Data\Shaders\BloomExtract.hlsl unchecked out correctly

johan.ung@TENSTAR-PC8 MINGW64 /d/wkspaces/devroot/V3/DOZ01/Data/Shaders
$ ~/Downloads/GetFileHashCode/GetFileHashCode.exe BloomExtract.hlsl
Hash: f/Vy1s55I6c1BuoWOO4GZw==

The file before the unco operation is identified as "changed" right? not checked out, just "Changed", isn't it?

We basically check the following thins to determine if the file is changed:

1) If it has the same Date -> Not changed.

2) If it's a symlink and the file has the same hash as the one stored at the metadata -> Not changed.

3) If the file size is the same as the one stored in the metadata -> Not changed

4) If the file has the same hash as the one stored at the metadata -> Not changed.

The only thing we are missing to test is if the file is having a different size than the one stored in the metadata but if this were true it would be constantly changed, even after the unco --all... It would mean a problem with the file metadata or a problem in the repository, not the behavior you are facing.

Will you be able to schedule a fast gotomeeting to check if we can get more details?

I registered here to state I'm having the same problem. I have a project that uses TypeScript, which in turns generates JavaScript. Every time the TypeScript compiles, it thinks the generated JavaScript files have changed. This is a deal breaker for me in terms of using Plastic full time! Please, I do not want this to be so.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I was just in contact with support and they led me to trying a thing that I probably should have tried first. Checkin the changed files and see if it happens the next time I run the copy-script. It did not =)

Hopefully this is a one-time thing that I only have to do now when migrating the repositories to Plastic.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

This is a very common problem which I have experienced a lot of times. I see "only changes in comments or blank lines" in the status after I check in the identical files. For me the best solution would be to allow a deep scan, so that all found changes are optionally scanned in deep again.

The problem occurs under the following situation: I have a CMS software installed on my local machine as well as on my server - both are the same. No problem. Now I start an update in the CMS (this is a function of the CMS, which changes/adds files). I do that on my local PC as well as on the server. In the end I have the same files on both sides - but when I download the files from the server I get false change notifications.

Archived