How do I disable encryption?

Danny

Hi,

Once the encryption is enabled you cannot disabled it. Your data will be already encrypted in the cloud repos so you will need the key to decrypt this data. We don't know your encryption password. It's locally saved in your "server" folder or your "plastic4" user folder. You should have a "cyptedservers.conf" if you entered the key before.

If you want to fully disable encryption in your cloud organization, we can manually do it. But you will need first to remove all your cloud repositories.

Regards,

Carlos.

thanks, I'd like to start over then, everything I've checked in is for evaluating Plastic SCM at the moment. Who can I contact? 

I do not have a server folder in [User]\AppData\Local\plastic4

or anything related to plastic in C:\Users\[User]

thank you

Hi, you can reach us at support@codicesoftware.com when you remove your cloud repos to disable encryption. The path for "cryptedservers.conf" file on Windows should be:

C:\Users\carlos\AppData\Local\plastic4 --> for the client-side operations encryption

C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\server --> for the server-side operations encryption

Regards,

Carlos.

• 11 months later...

Hi @calbzam 

I'm chiming in here too, shooting in the dark to try to find help. Our team has been using Plastic for the past year or so for our project; and we've never been prompted for our encryption key before, and now all the sudden we are, for pretty much every Checkin to the project from any of our clients (I'm the admin of the account and am working with only one other admin). However, the saved password we had created upon account setup worked the first time this recently popped up.... then it didn't the second time, but instead accepted a strange inverse permutation of the password... and now it won't accept any password we try.

I've seen your response to other questions for removing the encryption by starting from scratch, and it seems to be horrifically fatal (as in, the only way to decrypt is to wipe the cloud repos). This is not an ideal solution, to say the least. 

Is there anything you can do to help us get back on track and move forward?

Thanks so much,

-Ashley.

Hi,

The topic of this thread is regarding disabling the encryption, but In properly understand you are having a totally different issue.

If you are prompted to enter the entryption password for every checkin operation, there are two possibilities:

1. You are performing the operation from a client where the encryption is not set. After setting the right password, you won't be preompted again. You can try to re-configure the encryption following the steps from the previous comment. Removing/renaming the "cryptedservers.conf" (in both locations).

2. Somebody has committed changes with the wrong encryption key and now the rest of the team cannot decrypt the data on these changesets. If you switch your workspace to and old changeset are you also getting any error? My guess is just the last changesets are affected (you may need to delete the last changesets if the encryption is wrong),

You can reach us at support@codicesoftware.com if you need further help.

Regards,

Carlos.