Is it possible to show checkin descriptions on the branch explorer?

dean

Coming from Mercurial and Git, it seems crazy to me that the Branch Explorer doesn't list the checkin descriptions alongside the dots. You have look at them one at a time, after a whole second of hovering over the dot. I can't see any way to get that info.

The marketing material talks a lot about how intuitive and great the Branch Explorer is. The graph/branches are shown really clearly, but to me it doesn't mean much without the checkin info there.

I guess my question is, am I thinking about this wrong? Are people using Plastic in a different way such that it doesn't matter that that info is missing? For example, branching every checkin?

• 1 month later...

I think he meant is that we traditionally have the branch hierarchy with a list like in the changeset tab. it's like having two halves of one feature.

They should merge into one that would work horizontally or vertically with comments near their changeset.

While we're at it, more colors and customization would help readability: having colors on branches and avatar pictures on changeset depending on their users would help a lot when working with a big team.

The branch explorer can be configured to show the information on a vertical or horizonal layout.

I think having the changeset comments in the "Branch explorer" view (where potentially there are tons of changesets being shown) won't be very clean and probably difficult to read. I think it's more clean to hover over the changesets to see the metadata information for this changeset.

Using the "Changesets" view you will have all the metadata information and it's easy to run custom queries to show the desired changesets.

While we're at it, more colors and customization would help readability: having colors on branches and avatar pictures on changeset depending on their users would help a lot when working with a big team.

I guess you are already aware of the changeset color by user feature, right?

Regards,

Carlos.

10 hours ago, calbzam said:

I guess you are already aware of the changeset color by user feature, right?

I am but colors aren't as convivial as a face and would be better on branches. Plus the settings aren't shared between users which means you have to set them up on each computers.

This could be very easy to add with a shared .conf file that would contain that data.

username@company.com /plasticavatars/userpicture.jpg

branchname #123456