Cloaking a controlled folder doesn't do anything

galen

Hello,

I'm trying to cloak a quite big folder which I'm not interested in updating. I've added the folder through the context menu. Perhaps something to note is that cloaked.conf is ignored so that other team members can have other folders ignored. Any thoughts about what I could be doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Erik

Hi,

If you cloaked a controlled file, the folder should persist in your workspace but the new file revisions created in the branch shouldn't be downlaoded to your workspace when you update.

Isn't it the behavior you are experiencing?

Regards,

Carlos.

Hi Carlos,

that is not the behaviour I'm experiencing.

image.png.b1d7b13e439013c29ae7433c8be8f08b.png

in this update, everything in the "New items to download" is inside of the cloaked folder and when I verify in the workspace explorer, they are indeed there and in the status field for these newly downloaded files, it says "Controlled / Cloaked".

Hi Carlos,

I just got it to work but not in the way I had expected. Using the Update Workspace in the Workspace Explorer did indeed ignore the cloaked files which is great, I only wish updating through the Incoming Changes window would work the same since that's a better way to update, especially when I have pending changes. Is there a way to avoid being forced to use Update Workspace in the Workspace Explorer?

Hi Galen,

There is a reason beneath this behavior.

The cloaked.conf only works on controlled files, and it is to prevent changes from being downloaded into your machine. That means that new files (the ones appearing as added) will not be taken into account. If you don't want to submit the newly added items you need to ignore them.

To do a very quick sum up, we have three config files:
  • Ignore.conf: Prevents new files from being submited to the server and keep them local.
  • Cloaked.conf: Prevents changes in the server from being download into your machine. 
  • Hiddenchanges.conf: Prevents changes in controlled files in your machine from being submitted to the server.
With that taken into account, the incoming changes should work as expected.

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Best,
Héber.

1 hour ago, Héber said:

Hi Galen,

There is a reason beneath this behavior.

The cloaked.conf only works on controlled files, and it is to prevent changes from being downloaded into your machine. That means that new files (the ones appearing as added) will not be taken into account. If you don't want to submit the newly added items you need to ignore them.

It seems there's a misunderstanding here? I am not submitting any files, only updating my workspace. The new files that Plastic wants to download are in a cloaked folder.

After some testing, I do get the expected behaviour to work but ONLY when updating with Updating Workspace inside of the Workspace Explorer and NOT when using the Incoming Changes window. Is this intended?

• 3 weeks later...
 Hi Erik, 

As talked through e-mail, I'll paste here the answer in case it helps anyone else: 

I'm afraid the reason why those cloaked files are being downloaded is that the incoming changes run a merge operation underneath, and merges need to be for the whole changeset

Best,
Héber.