How to install Rider plugin?

Evgeny

In older versions it was installed automatically. But I turned it off because of lags.

I wanted to try it now, but can't find it anywhere. 

Reinstalled Plastic with IntelliJ plugin, but there are nothing in Rider Plugins.

Plastic version

Rider version

JetBrains Rider 2020.3.4
Build #RD-203.7717.10, built on March 17, 2021

Thank you for documentation link. Instructions on manual installation helped.

Automatic installation doesn't work for me.

And you have wrong path in documentation: ${INSTALL_DIR}/intellij_plugin/plastic4idea.jar. It's actually was ${INSTALL_DIR}/client/intellij12/plastic4idea.jar

• 2 months later...
${INSTALL_DIR}/client/intellij12/plastic4idea.jar 

For everyone coming to this after a google search: This file is only created when the IntelliJ Plugin installation was chosen in the Installer.

Btw. the only way to obtain the "plastic4idea.jar" is to completely uninstall and then reinstall PlasticSCM with the installer, find your Rider Installation directory by using the world's smallest File selection window, just to get a single jar file.

image.png.2f84dd01e87461fbe8838170401b5ffe.png

Generally it is ridiculous and unprofessional, how hard it is to install a VCS plugin for my IDE, I googled for like 30 minutes and did not find a single download link, just some obscure forum threads, with outdated documentation and outdated installation information. Please just put it in the Plugins Repository of IntelliJ or at least provide download links for all the plugins on your website.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 2:10 AM, calbzam said:

Hi,

Why do you need to manually install the plguin via de .jar file. The plugin should be able to be installed when you select it during the Plastic installation process.

Regards,

Carlos.

The steps that OnkelTItus describes is what the plastic installer does: selecting the IntelliJ then asks for the source directory of the jar file. If you and the instructions are implying that the jar file are installed when the box is ticked in the install options and that the File Selection box should not appear, then this is not the current functionality of the cloud installer at least. I cannot get the plastic4idea.jar from the installer, using the latest installer which is PlasticSCM-10.0.16.6307-windows-cloud-installer for me.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/1/2021 at 4:13 AM, calbzam said:

Hi @SteveEverCurious,

But the goal is not providing the jar file. The goal is you can use the installer to deploy the Rider plugin. Are you facing any issue with this process? I'm afraid I can't reproduce a problem. I was able to install the Rider plugin via the cloud installer.

Regards,

Carlos.

I know this is an old thread but to add my perspective on this since I'm currently annoyed at this process and how much time I've wasted on it: Uninstalling and Reinstalling the entire Plastic client is an unintuitive, inconvenient, and I'd say clumsy way to add plugins to an existing installation (especially since the Plastic uninstaller/installer is so very sluggish). I've recently switched to the Rider IDE for one of my projects and have been struggling to get the plugin installed.

I'm glad I found this thread explaining how to do this but a downloadable standalone plugin installer or jar file I could install manually would have been really appreciated, or even one of those installers that allow you to modify installed components after the fact. I understand this is extra effort for each update but IMO the convenient solution should be for the end users not the package maintainer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am trying to get the Plastic Plugin for Rider 2022.1.2 on MacOS.

I can't use the automatic installation during Plastic's download, as I don't get prompted the "Select Components" window under MacOS installation.

The manual installation described in https://blog.plasticscm.com/2019/06/plastic-scm-fully-compatible-with-all-jetbrains-ides.html doesn't work. After adding the plugin from disk and restarting, Rider says "Compatible with IntelliJ IDEA only".

Please let me know how I can get the plugin on Mac. Thx!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, Jason_Raval said:

IntelliJ IDEA base installation can be found in rider via Help > Diagnostic Tools > Special Files and Folders - "Installation home directory" 

Perfect!  Just what I needed, thanks!

Using the directory reported by Rider as you suggested caused the installation to succeed without an issue.  (Brand new Plastic SCM user, never before had anything installed, downloaded and ran the free cloud installer).

• 4 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 12:48 AM, RabbleRousy said:

Hi, I am trying to get the Plastic Plugin for Rider 2022.1.2 on MacOS.

I can't use the automatic installation during Plastic's download, as I don't get prompted the "Select Components" window under MacOS installation.

The manual installation described in https://blog.plasticscm.com/2019/06/plastic-scm-fully-compatible-with-all-jetbrains-ides.html doesn't work. After adding the plugin from disk and restarting, Rider says "Compatible with IntelliJ IDEA only".

Please let me know how I can get the plugin on Mac. Thx!

Hey yeah it works perfects on Mac, it's just not bundled with the installer for some reason. 
Follow this https://forum.unity.com/threads/plastic-plugin-for-rider-ide.1194874/#post-8203950 and you'll get what you want.