Flatpak

Rett

Are there any plans to release Plastic as a Flatpak? This would make it significantly easier for your team to package it, rather than doing one per supported distro. It also makes it easier for users, just install from Flathub rather than needing to mess with adding repos.

Plastic hasn't worked on any of the distros I've tried, all had official installation instructions and are supposed to be supported. Flatpak/Flathub would make it significantly easier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I totally agree with @dacanizares

It's really a pain to convert all the deb packages to arch linux packages.

And what's more, Arch based distros are more and more used.

In my case, my game studio is developing games for Steam. And Valve has now choosen Arch Linux to power SteamOS 3 and we develop our games from Arch based distros.

So using latest package technologies is a must have. FlatPack and AppImage has been developped for these reasons : (For dev) No matter the distros you can easily deploy on any linux system with only one package builder. (For users) No matter the distros you can install any linux app easliy.

Benefits for all. Please consider this.

Thank you.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's a very awkward deal that happened here - not only Arch is not supported but even modern Ubuntu won't work! The whole linux support is a hoax, add the Unity bulk-deal to it and think about it. I smell desperation and a sinking ship.

it's a very awkward deal that happened here - not only Arch is not supported but even modern Ubuntu won't work! The whole linux support is a hoax, add the Unity bulk-deal to it and think about it. I smell desperation and a sinking ship.

Plastic is not available (or has been ever avilable) for Arch Linux but it properly works in Ubuntu (at least until Ubuntu 21).

Regards,

Carlos.

On 5/2/2022 at 12:26 PM, calbzam said:

Plastic is not available (or has been ever avilable) for Arch Linux but it properly works in Ubuntu (at least until Ubuntu 21).

Regards,

Carlos.

I'm trying to install on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (latest release) and it's not working... here is the terminal 

Screenshot from 2022-05-03 17-41-47.png

10 hours ago, Teles said:

I'm trying to install on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (latest release) and it's not working... here is the terminal 

Screenshot from 2022-05-03 17-41-47.png

Yes... It's because Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is now using upper version of plasticscm dependencies... PlasticSCM team needs to upgrade the dependencies. So, sorry @calbzam but again, if you used FlatPak, this kind of issue will no longer happen. Here is a proof from the official FlatPak documentation (https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/dependencies.html) :

One of the key advantages of Flatpak is that it allows application authors to bundle whatever libraries or dependencies that they want. This means that developers aren’t constrained by which libraries are available through Linux distributions.

So please, again, consider using FlatPak for package delivery. It will be appreciated also by Ubuntu users.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, calbzam said:

Hey, 

That's not really fully correct. It was never officially supported but I've been using PlasticSCM on arch-based Jenkins docker in my build server machine. I did it with the help of this topic - 

My issue is that I cannot find the linux binaries for Plastic in downloads page anymore. Is there any way to get those binaries? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The problem is we don't currently have an official zip/tar.gz installer for Linux. You will need to use these three links:
https://plastic-releases.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/releases/11.0.16.7134/plasticscm/linux/PlasticSCM-11.0.16.7134-linux-client-core.tar.gz 
https://plastic-releases.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/releases/11.0.16.7134/plasticscm/linux/PlasticSCM-11.0.16.7134-gtkplastic.tar.gz 
https://plastic-releases.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/releases/11.0.16.7134/plasticscm/linux/PlasticSCM-11.0.16.7134-linux-theme.tar.gz 

If you just need the CLI, this one should be enough (you can edit the version but use the same link format):
https://plastic-releases.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/releases/11.0.16.7134/plasticscm/linux/PlasticSCM-11.0.16.7134-linux-client-core.tar.gz

Regards,

Carlos.