"invalid credentials: username or password is incorrect" error preventing me from uploading or downloading changes

tyler95

i logged into my unity account and have an organization in plastic, however whenever i try to upload changes, it gives me the error in the title. i do not know why this is, or why its occurring. my teammates using the same organization (I am the host) have no issue and can use the service just fine. is there any reason for this?

*note: i do not have the plastic scm cloud app installed, as it is impossible for me o do so for outside reasons, but its the same for my teammates and they use it fine.

Screenshot 2022-04-19 142551.png

Hi @tyler95, I'm sorry you're having issues pushing changes. Let's try resetting your login state to see if that resolves your issue.

First, navigate to your plastic4 directory (under $HOME/.plastic4 on Linux/Mac systems or C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\plastic4 on Windows). In that directory, find your client.conf file and delete it.

Then, re-open your Unity Project. The Plastic SCM window should now be reset to ask you to login. Login using your Unity ID credentials and select a Plastic Org to connect to. After that, the Plastic SCM window should tell you that you're logged in and that you need to create a new workspace. This is actually misleading. If you close and re-open the Plastic SCM window then it will connect sync with your Plastic Workspace again and should show you your Pending Changes tab as expected. From there, please try again to push your changes to see if that resolves your issue.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am also having this issue. Was going fine until this afternoon. Now I get "Invalid credentials, username or password are not valid." when I try and check in.

I can see updates to branch explorer fine.

The wierd thing is that if I select just 2 files I can (sometimes) successfully check them in, but a larger changelist, no luck. I have tried the fix suggested here with no luck. I am also on the latest version (Mac). What's going on here? It's super frustrating!

• 1 month later...

I ran into this today for the first time. As hugeandy mentions, it was only private new/added files that was giving it trouble, everything else was able to commit together normally. However, I found a workaround of only commiting 1-2 files at a time seemed to work (not 100% but most of the time).

To add just a bit more information - I only notice this on binaries, never on very small files. I just tested it, and I can check in 30 new text files, but more than a couple smallish .wavs (~1mb) will cause the problem to occur.

I've also been using the same workaround (only checking in 1-2 files at a time), but it's unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It sometimes seems to help if I close the client and re=open it.

It feels almost as if the upload is timing out when it tries to check in new files. If it takes more than a few seconds, the error pops up.

• 1 month later...

Same behaviour "Invalid credentials, username or password are not valid." popup, but if I commit one file at a time, no errors. I installed the latest version, have signed out and in several times, deleted my client.conf file, and still the error happens when I try to commit new files but not when I'm just committing changes, or just adding one or two files at a time.

I deleted Plastic entirely, deleted Plastic4 from AppData and deleted all the leftover files in Program Files, restarted my computer, then I reinstalled plastic, pulled a new copy of the repo into a new workspace, manually made my changes to my project again again using WinMerge (from a backup copy of the workspace files), and still I can not push.

• 2 months later...

Adding to this topic my own experience that might help others who hit a dead end with the instructions above. I discovered the following by working with a Plastic Support member. 

Problem: I was also getting the "Invalid credentials, username or password are not valid." error after changing my password, and the above instructions didn't fix the issue for me. 

The Fix: 

I was instructed to

1) Close Plastic app and associated game engine

2) Navigate to WIN: %localappdata%\plastic4\ or MAC: $HOME/.plastic4/ and to rename that folder and append _bak (backup to it) 

3) Re-open Plastic app, and re-login (this got me in, but I didn't have my workspaces, so I...)

4) Close Plastic, and then copy over relevant files from plastic4_bak/ -> plastic/

• plastic.workspaces (this will restore your workplace association when you re-open plastic next)
  • hidden_branches.conf (this will re-hide any branches you had hidden)
  • ignore.conf (this will restore any ignores you had set up)

This fixed the issue for me, and kept most of my settings intact. Hope this helps someone else!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking maybe this Plastic bug has something to do with the old plastic login.

I was completely blocked by this issue, even after trying all the suggested solutions. But I just tried logging in via my unity id, instead of the credentials that I had from pre-Unity days (same email address) and that seems to have fixed it. So far. 🤞

• 1 year later...

I recently had a similar problem where I had changed my password using the webadmin tool, but even though I was logging in to the plastic client with the correct credentials, it kept failing and prompting for another login. This persisted even though setting the client name/password using cm configure worked fine.

It turned out the profiles.conf file in the %localappdata%\plastic4\ folder for some reason had cached bad login info. I deleted the entries from the profiles.conf and then I could log in and everything worked.