How to migrate plastic to a new server?

So I understand how to migrate my database backend from one server to another, but what if I want to move my plastic installation (and or update to a newer plastic version) as part of this process?

Should I update the old plastic server on the old machine to the lastest version, then migrate the database backend, then install the new plastic server on the new machine and point it to the newly migrated database backend?

Will that work? Are there any files I'd need to copy from the old plastic server to the new plastic server? I definitely don't want the new install to wipe out any of the existing source control repositories...

Hi!

You can upgrade your current installation to the latest and then migrate the databases to the new machine.

You can also migrate the databases and then perform the version upgrade at the new machine, no problem, the result is going to be the same.

Files you don't want to miss.

* db.conf -> Is the one handling the database connection.

* users.conf and groups.conf -> If you are using the User&Password authentication mode.

* plasticd.lic -> The license file.

* server.conf -> Your old server configuration parameters.

If the new machine doesn't have Plastic installated at all (i.e. fresh install not an upgrade), is it still legitimate to move the repositories to the new DB, and then install plastic at the new machine, and link it to the DB... will it just pickup the existing repos?

I know when I do a clean install of Plastic on other machines, and start the server it creates a couple repos for me (the master repo, and a default repo). I don't want this to happen in this case...

If the new machine doesn't have Plastic installated at all (i.e. fresh install not an upgrade), is it still legitimate to move the repositories to the new DB, and then install plastic at the new machine, and link it to the DB... will it just pickup the existing repos?

Yes, the "db.conf" file is in charge of connecting to the database and if you copy the "repositories.plastic" database you won't need to relink them as the "repositories.plastic" database is the index for all your repositories. If the Plastic version installed is newer the db upgrade (if needed) will take place the first time the server is started.

I know when I do a clean install of Plastic on other machines, and start the server it creates a couple repos for me (the master repo, and a default repo). I don't want this to happen in this case...

Yes, it creates the "index" database and the "default" repo. But as I said it you copy the "repositories.plastic" database too the Plastic server will just read them.

I seem to be having an issue with the Client Configuration, the Server Configuration went fine, and it's set to use LDAP connecting with Active Directory which works... but on the Client Config section 2 - Configure your credentials, the textbox is locked to Administrator, and there is no password textbox? This is on a clean install of 5.4 on the new machine. The old machine which was upgraded to 5.4 shows two boxes one for the user one for the password... any ideas why this might be happening?

my settings are:

localhost:8087

Administrator (this one is grayed out and not changeable)

and when I click the Check button, it says in red "Please, enter a password", but there is no box for it?!?!?!

Okay... so this appears to be a bug in the Plastic SCM 5.4.16.619 client config tool (during initial installation). Just for the heck of it, I said OK even though I couldn't validate my credentials, then tried to run the client. At that point the client yelled at me saying my password was empty, and gave me a separate dialog to enter a username/password. Once this was done the client app was able to log in, and going back and checking the client config tool, I now have both a username and password box to fill in. You guys might want to get this fixed up quick, as it's really going to confuse first time users, and might even deter them from continuing to evaluate Plastic.

aha... I guess that is the part I was missing, I thought the connect/scan network was just to verify the server existed (or choose one to connect to if there were more than one), which I already knew it did exist. And I choose to not start my server after the server config... so that's a hole. Coming from Plastic 5.0 I would expected that I could choose my client connection method, based on my knowledge of the server (up and running or not) and not have to confirm it's required method of authentication. I couldn't find an admin guide for the newer version (I just kept finding the old 5.0 one). So it was a bit rough to figure this all out.

Archived