Explorer shell integration not working (Windows 8.1)

yossiz

Hi,

I've installed Plastic v5.4.16.628 (client only) on a Windows 8.1 Pro machine, working against a Plastic server of the same version.

Everything works well, except the Explorer Shell Integration.

I've tried everything I found in the forums, but so far, no luck.

Is there a way to get it to work? or is it something that is officially unsupported at this stage? (I didn't see Windows 8 mentioned in the client OS requirements)

Thanks

Yossi

Hi Yossi,

can you tell us if you get errors when the shell extension is installed? The shell extension is not set by default during the installation so I guess you selected it, right?

Is the Plastic SCM menu at least listed at the context menu?

• 1 month later...

Since this topic is already on top of the forum, I'll just post here instead of starting a new topic...

My Windows Explorer extension is mostly working fine (the Plastic SCM menu is in the right click menu, all the functions work there as far as I know), but the green light/right light/check out/etc icons are not showing. Instead, I just see the normal Windows Explorer option, so I either have to navigate into the right-click menu or open the Plastic IDE to see what status my files are in. Not a huge deal, but somewhat annoying. 

I have no idea how I turned off the Plastic icons (I used to have them - not exactly sure when they went away), or how to turn them back on. Any suggestions? Let me know if you need more info. 

Windows Explorer extension is mostly working fine (the Plastic SCM menu is in the right click menu, all the functions work there as far as I know), but the green light/right light/check out/etc icons are not showing.

We also encountered this, and I remembered that Tortise SVN also has this problem where the icons stop showing up. Googling brought up a large number of hits which all said the same thing as this site http://www.sitepoint.com/missing-tortoisesvn-file-status-overlay-icons/. It turns out that windows only supports a limited number of shell overlay icons.

The suggested fix is to use regedit to delete some of the shell icons defined at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell\IconOverlayIdentifiers.

I deleted all the entries for dropbox and TortiseSVN & rebooted the machine. PlasticSCM's icons then re-appeared. I then reinstalled Dropbox & TortiseSVN (as we still have some old projects in there) and it appears that all of the icon overlays, including those for PlasticSCM, Dropbox & TortiseSVN are working (though I have not rebooted again).

Archived