Update Workspace and branching

Amimoller

Hi,

On our project it is often the case that people would like to get various commits that were recently made, maybe its a bug fix, new asset etc. If you are in the same branch its usually not a problem, most of the time you can just update to the latest changelist if there are no merges required. But this only possible if you are on the same branch (As far as i know).

Therefore there is a tendency for too many people ending up working in the same branch, to make updating easier.

It would be really nice if this was possible across branches, e.g. to merge from another branch without checking in your changes if no merge is required.

I guess its possible now already if you have two workspaces and only use one for merging, but i don't see a reason (other than maybe UI) why it shouldn't be possible inside the workspace you are working in.

Could this be considered or is there some better workflow for this that i am missing?

Cheers

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

that's what we call "rebase". If I'm working in my task branch and for some reason I need the changes of the main branch (or any other branch or changeset) I will run a merge/Cherrypick operation to get them. Then I'll continue working, the Plastic SCM branch differences will be smart enough to show me the real changes I did in the branch, not the ones coming from the merge/cherrypick operations, they will be in different categories.

So at the end of the day the branch is not polluted because the diff operation will handle it. The rebase operation is even a good habit since you will be saving time to the build master at the time the task branch is merged back to main.

Sometimes artists/developers have fear about merging or rebasing from main but once you perform one or two of them you loose the fear.

Im not sure i explained well enough.

I think what you are explaining is just a normal merge from main to task branch? We do this all the time. My question was more if it could be done without checking in your current changes, similar to what you can do via the pending changes window if it does not require a merge of the files you are working on (Within the same branch). I guess its somewhat more complicated behind the scenes when different branches are involved. You could kindof simulate it by doing the merge in another workspace, then in your primary one you should be able to update the workspace via the pending changes window.

Hope it makes some sort of sense :)

//Jonas

• 2 weeks later...

Archived