gtkplastic won't start after Man on The Moon update

naris

I am running ubuntu linux 15.10 and after the Man on the Moon update, gtkplastic has an issue with an unhandled null reference exception that prevents it from starting:

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for bo ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at bo.b (Gdk.Pixbuf A_0) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at bo..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at yt.l () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at yt..ctor (Codice.CM.Common.WorkspaceInfo A_0, Gtk.HBox A_1, ur A_2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ur.b () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ur..ctor (Codice.CM.Common.WorkspaceInfo A_0) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at e1.b (System.String A_0) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at r2.a (n A_0) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at r2.a (System.String[] A_0) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I didn't perform the upgrade, Ubuntu's auto Software Updater did.

I tried  manually installing the theme package, but it is already installed.

$ sudo apt-get install plasticscm-theme
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
plasticscm-theme is already the newest version.
plasticscm-theme set to manually installed.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-image-4.2.0-16-generic linux-image-extra-4.2.0-16-generic linux-tools-4.2.0-16 linux-tools-4.2.0-16-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.

So, it didn't help :(

I uncompressed the new theme files and it still errors. However, the ownership of the theme files change to the root user when I expanded the tar.gz file do I change the ownership to plasticscm:plasticscm and it still has the same issue.

Since there was an issue with ownership, I tried sudo gtkplatic to run it as root and it then starts. However, it is unable to locate any of the existing workspaces. I tried creating a new one just to get it to start, but that failed with an unexpected error. Also, when I click on the repositories tab and enter the name of our plastic server, which runs on Windows, it complains that "ADWorkingMode users configuration is not supported on this platform" and I am unable to even list the repositories. I have always been able to connect to the server before by using clconfigureclient to specify LDAPWorkingMode. Therefore, I tried using sudo clconfigureclient to set the server and working mode which then allows it to connect to the server and display a list of repositories but then it enters an infinite loop of displaying unexpected error dialog boxes until I hit control-C in the terminal session I started gktplastic from to terminate it :(

Hello naris,

I'm sorry you are having those issues, we have hundreds of linux clients and it's usually pretty smooth.

Change the owner and the permissions of the theme directory and the files inside it. I guess if root is set or if the files are not having enough permissions for your user gtkplastic will not be able to use them.

The  ""ADWorkingMode users configuration is not supported on this platform" error is strange for me since we recently added the chance of selecting "LDAP" in order to provide an user name and password. Just in case, can you search if you are having a single Plastic SCM installation and it's version?

I tried using apt-get remove to remove all traces of plasticscm, performed a rm -rf /opt/plasticscm and tried reinstalling it.

Unfortunately, the install now fails with this:

$ apt-get install plasticscm-complete
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
... lots of lines ...
Setting up plasticscm-client-core (5.4.16.707) ...
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/opt/plasticscm5/mono/etc/mono/4.5’: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package plasticscm-client-core (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up plasticscm-libmono3-2.0-1 (3.0.3.1-1.1) ...
Setting up plasticscm-libmono3-profiler (3.0.3.1-1.1) ...
Setting up plasticscm-mono3-2.0-gac (3.0.3.1-1.1) ...
Setting up plasticscm-mono3-2.0-service (3.0.3.1-1.1) ...
Setting up plasticscm-mono3-utils (3.0.3.1-1.1) ...
Setting up plasticscm-gtk-sharp (2.12.29) ...
Setting up plasticscm-gnome-sharp (2.24.0) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of plasticscm-client-gtk:
 plasticscm-client-gtk depends on plasticscm-client-core (= 5.4.16.707); however:
  Package plasticscm-client-core is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package plasticscm-client-gtk (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of plasticscm-client-complete:
 plasticscm-client-complete depends on plasticscm-client-core (= 5.4.16.707); however:
  Package plasticscm-client-core is not configured yet.
 plasticscm-client-complete depends on plasticscm-client-gtk (= 5.4.16.707); however:
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                                                                            Package plasticscm-client-gtk is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package plasticscm-client-complete (--configure):
Setting up plasticscm-server-core (5.4.16.707) ...
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                                                                          /opt/plasticscm5/server/mono_setup: line 25: exec: mono: not found
dpkg: error processing package plasticscm-server-core (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of plasticscm-server-tools:
 plasticscm-server-tools depends on plasticscm-server-core (= 5.4.16.707); however:
  Package plasticscm-server-core is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package plasticscm-server-tools (--configure):
                                                              dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of plasticscm-server-complete:
 plasticscm-server-complete depends on plasticscm-server-core (= 5.4.16.707); however:
  Package plasticscm-server-core is not configured yet.
 plasticscm-server-complete depends on plasticscm-server-tools (= 5.4.16.707); however:
  Package plasticscm-server-tools is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package plasticscm-server-complete (--configure):
                                                              dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of plasticscm-complete:
 plasticscm-complete depends on plasticscm-client-complete (= 5.4.16.707); however:
  Package plasticscm-client-complete is not configured yet.
 plasticscm-complete depends on plasticscm-server-complete (= 5.4.16.707); however:
  Package plasticscm-server-complete is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package plasticscm-complete (--configure):
                                                              Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.21-0ubuntu4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 plasticscm-client-core
 plasticscm-client-gtk
 plasticscm-client-complete
 plasticscm-server-core
 plasticscm-server-tools
 plasticscm-server-complete
 plasticscm-complete
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I checked and there is no ‘/opt/plasticscm5/mono/etc/’ directory, so I seem to be completely dead now :(

After several rounds of installing, uninstalling, reinstalling plasticscm-complete, plasticscm-client-complete, plastiscscm-mono3-runtime, plasticscm-mono3-complete, mono-complete (the xamarin version, which was a really bad idea and screwed up everything until I could hunt down and nuke all the remnants, I finally got plasticscm to work. Unfortunately, I don't really remember exactly what I did :/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived