Ubuntu 15.10 GUI configuration issues and solutions

dperham

This outlines some of the issues that I had using PlasticSCM on Ubuntu 15.10 and provides the solutions I used.   I had already configured PlasticSCM using the command line tools, but I wanted others to be able to use the GUI tools.   The GUI tools did not work out of the box for Ubuntu 15.10 nor 15.04

Running PlasticSCM Team 

Server: Ubuntu 15.10 with MySQL backend

Clients: Windows

Issues:

• GUI configuration tools did not work under Ubuntu 15.10 (nor 15.04)

Programs:  configureserver, umtoolgui, admintool

Error: 

"System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'y3' from assembly"

this was somewhat of a red herring as exposed after running the programs with the following export variables set

export MONO_LOG_LEVEL=debug
export MONO_LOG_MASK=asm

The issue was that the GAC versions that were being searched for were 4.0.0.0 but the versions provided were 2.0.0.0

Fix: add symlinks from 2.0.0.0__* to 4.0.0.0__*
#!/bin/bash
# -- add 4.0.0.0 symlinks
cd /opt/plasticscm5/mono/lib/mono/gac
for i in $(find -type d -name '2.0.0.0__*'); 
do 
    b=${i/\/2.0.0.0/\/4.0.0.0}; 
    a=${i##*/}; 
    sudo ln -sf $a $b;
done

Error:  all config files had an xml element that was a violation: "<runtime>"

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Net.Sockets.Socket ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Error Initializing the configuration system. ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section <runtime> (/opt/plasticscm5/server/umtoolgui.exe.config line 2)

Fix: comment out or remove the "<runtime>" block from admintool.exe.config, configureserver.exe.config, umtoolgui.exe.config

Error:  missing admintool shell script.  

Fix: created admintool, in the manner of umtoolgui

!/bin/sh
PROG=${0##*/}

PLASTICSERVERDIR=`dirname \`readlink -fn $0\``
exec "$PLASTICSERVERDIR/mono_setup" $PROG mono "$PLASTICSERVERDIR/$PROG.exe" "$@"

Error: admintool complains of bad theme path referencing a theme with the a path like "theme\windows".  Of course unix uses forward slashes

Fix: hack created a fake link to handle that bad path

#!/bin/bash
cd /opt/plasticscm5/
ln -sf theme/windows theme\\windows

Example of my db.conf for mysql

<DbConfig>
        <ProviderName>mysql</ProviderName>
        <ConnectionString>Server=127.0.0.1;User ID=root;Password=redacted;Database={0};Pooling=true</ConnectionString>
	<DatabasePath/>
	<DatabasePrefix>production_</DatabasePrefix>
</DbConfig>

Example of my backup script

db=$(mysql -u root -predacted -h localhost -e 'show databases;' | grep production_rep)
    mysqldump -u root -predacted -h localhost --databases $db | gzip -c > $(date +%FT%T)-production_rep.mysqldump.gz

yes,  Ubuntu 14.04 versions.    I knew that I was running on an unsupported version of Ubuntu (15.10).  However, since the command-line tools worked fine, I  decided to invest a little bit of time seeing if  I could get the GUIs to work.   I figured that my effort might help someone else.

Archived