Adding new files in Visual Studio 2010

CodingGorilla

Hi!

Sorry for the delay. I'll be coming back with the answer tomorrow (believe it or not I do not use the plugin myself).

But AFAIK they're not added to the repo, just marked to be added. Remember "add" is not the same in 4.0 than 3.0 (4.0 handles "adds" locally). Does it ring a bell?

Sorry, I'm a Plastic newbie, so the only frame of reference that I have is from working with SVN and related plug-ins. I would expect that when I add a new file in visual studio, and then do a check-in operation that the new file is already "checked" in the check-in UI to be added. Instead, it shows up as "private / Uncontrolled" and I need to put a check mark next to the files in the Check-in UI to make it a "Controlled" file.

Is that more clear?

Here's an example:

This image shows a new file in the "Solution Explorer", the source control status leads me to believe it has been "Added" to source control:

http://screencast.com/t/ZddvY8Gx

But when I do a "Check in" I see the following UI:

http://screencast.com/t/2idQomsH

The files are labeled as "Added and private" and I need to check the checkboxes in order to have them committed to the repository (as I would expect them to be since I added them to the visual studio solution).

P.S. Sorry about the links, but I can't embed images I guess?

Hi,

Yes, what you ask is true.

We do not mark the "added" by default on the GUI, because then some privates could find their way in without being really part of the controlled stuff.

From VStudio we could change the behavior. But, instead of checking "all" the check boxes, can't you just check the container?? I mean, adding files is not as usual as modifying existing ones, so reviewing what really needs to be added shouldn't be an issue, is it?

Yea, it's not a big problem, as you mentioned I can check the container (except when there are files that I actually don't want added, then I have to ignore those). It just wasn't the behavior I expected, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing something. Like i said, I'm new to Plastic SCM, I was just expecting SVN behavior... :D

Yes, they are added using the regular-old visual studio methods. So for example, if I right click the project and hit New Item -> Class, the new file "Class1.cs" will be added to the project, the source control status shows the little yellow + next to the file. This leads me to think (again, based on how SVN and other plug-ins typically function) that Plastic is already going to add this to the repository (ie. It's status is now controlled, not private). However, as I demonstrated with the screen shots, it's still considered by Plastic to be 'private'.

IMHO, the visual studio plugin should automatically set the status to 'Controlled' when a file is added via visual studio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived