Fast-Import Issues

I'm continuing to try to get my new installation of Plastic up and running, but I'm running into some issues. I'm migrating from a CVSNT platform, that is a real mess. I started playing around with Plastic a week or two before Plastic 4 came out. I couldn't find an easy way to get CVS to export into a fast-export type file. The only way I could try to do it was to install Cygwin (I'm living in a Windows world) and try to get the cvs2git port of svn2git to work. That doesn't official support CVSNT so I was hesitant to do so. I already had imported all of my CVS stuff into Plastic 3, so I decided to keep Plastic 3 around, pull from CVS into Plastic 3, then do a fast-export from Plastic 3 to import into Plastic 4. This seemed much easier.

If there's an easier upgrade path from CVS please let me know, I'll try that out instead.

Assuming this is a semi-workable approach to my upgrade situation, when I import into Plastic 4 with the "--stats" option, I get an error message: "Error: Can't add from 6 to commit 285 because it wasn't processed yet". The numbers (6, 285) change but the basic message is always the same.

I saw the thread from yesterday on the fast-import problems and did upgrade my Plastic installation with the newest version of 3. I am currently running 3.0.187.32. This did indeed change the fast-export of this particular project I am looking at. I verified that with a diff of the two files, and it changed the numbers reported in the error, but still didn't get me all the way there. The command I ran to export the file was:

cm fast-export jor-libs@localhost:8084

The repositories I have checked inside Plastic 3 all look fine. They have the changesets I would expect to see and all the files are there. Plastic 4 on the other hand will be missing changesets or show the repository as empty entirely.

For Plastic4's fast-import I am using version 4.0.237.0. The command I'm using to perform the import is

cm.exe fast-import jor-libs@source-code:8087 fast-export.dat --stats

Before doing the fast-import I do create the repository as it doesn't exist before. I do a remove if it does exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try to present what I think the issue might be so anyone else in my shoes could understand. At this point I think we're going to be forced to abandon all semblance of importing from CVS and instead just import the current state directly into Plastic as an initial import and leave it at that. What I think is happening is that when I have a very large commit where a lot of things change it's having trouble creating an accurate history of what changed. This happens ridiculously frequently where I am, and it might not happen as much for other people who keep their commits to what a commit should be: small, concise, and one single related unit.

I did try two other additional experiments which further led me to believe that I was an edge case and there was little to nothing that could be done. First I installed the cvs2git through Cygwin as I discussed above and used that to produce a fast export file. I then used that fast-export file with Plastic4 just as above, and I saw the same thing. I then decided to import into Git with the fast export file and even Git showed me the same behavior.

I wouldn't take this as a cautionary tale for anyone who is on CVS and thinking of moving to Plastic. One, as I said above, if you commit frequently you might not ever hit that problem. Second, just because there's going to be growing pains doesn't mean you shouldn't move off of CVS as a platform. If you are going to experience what I experienced you are going to experience it with anything you move to most likely. I would take it more as a tale of why someone should have moved off of CVS a long time ago.

For now the solution is to get a current version in Plastic and switch over to it, and then we will keep CVS around in case we ever need to examine any history.

Hi carpediemevive,

Can you please fast-export your PlasticSCM 3.0 repository with the "--nodata" parameter and sent to us the package?

You can use the support at codicesoftware dot com address.

This package doesn't include code information or structure, only version control metadata.

I'll also need the cm (client) log file (cm.log.txt), check this article to learn how to enable it: http://www.plasticsc...scm-part-i.aspx This will give us more information about the fast-export stages.

We will try to find out why PlasticSCM 3.0 is generating an invalid pakage.

Regards,

Manu

Hi carpediemevive,

I've received your package, it's weird due to I can import your package into PlasticSCM 4.0 without problems if I issue:

cm fast-import import5@localhost:8084 fast-export.dat

BUT, if I add the stats option I get the same error as you. Maybe we have something wrong in the command stats.

Try to import it without the --stats, there are only 3 changesets, right?

Regards,

Manu.

Yes I did. I created a brand new repository and imported the file into that repository. Then I created a new workspace, setting the selector to the newly created repository and ran an update. When I view the changesets on the repository I only see one with a comment of "Root dir" and when I browse the repository on that changeset I see nothing inside of it besides the top level directory.

Archived