xlink and Replication

cidico

Hi!

As you may know, I'm a replication package user... But how does it works when you have an xlink?

If we just use the code, I assume that it just works as any other folder under control.

But when I need to perform a change in a folder that has a xlink? Do I need to get the repository with me everywhere I go?

Hi cidico,

in this moment if you want to replicate a repository that is having Xlinks you also have to replicate the branches Xlinked by this repository.

And you have to create the Xlink as "relative" (-rs, you can find more info in the "cm xlink").

We are thinking in a way to work "unplugged" to your Xlinked repositories.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I need to use xlinks with replication. I looked into the documentation I found by typing "cm xlink" as you recommended and I may say, the little information I found there did not help me much to understand how to use the -rs option and how it would help me with replication. Could you please give me more details? Or point me to some other documentation? I've looked for more and did not find any. I'd actually be interested in learning more abut the -rr option too.

Thank you.

-Laurent.

Hi Laurent,

We are working hard to get the documentation of 4.0 up to date with the latest changes. We are still writing the XLinks documentation. It will be published with the rest of the guides really soon!

In advance, I can try to explain their function a little more of what's in command help (cm xlink):

-rs: relative server. This option allows creating a relative xlink that is

independant of the repository server. This way, xlinks created in

replicated repositories in different servers will be automatically

identified.

-rr: relative repository. This option allows creating a relative xlink to

a different changeset (eventually, in a different branch) in the same

repository.

A small example. Imagine a distributed scenario where there are a remote server with two repositories and you have them replicated to your local server.

rep1@remoteserver:xxxx ---------> rep1@localserver:xxxx

rep2@remoteserver:xxxx ---------> rep2@localserver:xxxx

Imagine that rep1@remoteserver:xxxx has an xlink pointing to rep2@remoteserver:xxxx

(cm xlink secondrepo / 1@rep2@remoteserver:xxxx).

Then, if you replicate rep1@remoteserver:xxxx to your local server (rep1@localserver:xxxx), the xlink will be pointing to the rep2@remoteserver:xxxx and not to your local server (rep2@localserver:xxxx).

But if when creating the xlink you use the -rs option (cm xlink -rs secondrepo / 1@rep2@remoteserver:xxxx), then whenever you replicate, your rep1@localserver:xxxx will be pointing to your rep2@localserver:xxxx and not to the remote one.

I hope it's a little clearer now. Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Violeta

Archived